Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lamp shade question

Posted by oldcrafty (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 11:07

I have never posted in this forum before. I post on garden junk and someone there suggested I ask here. I was putting together this mushroom that I planned on putting in my garden and was told there may be too much value in this shade to do that. I purchased it at a garage sale and threw away all the actual lamp parts because I only planned to use the shade. It is 21 inches in diameter and was a hanging lamp. No markings of any kind on shade as to who made it. I have in the past few days been offered $100.00 for the shade and am wondering if anyone in this forum has any input to help me know what I've got and if indeed that price is reasonable.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Double clicking the pic will enlarge it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lamp shade question

This pattern is referred to as Dragonfly, for obvious reasons. I looked in my book "Tiffany - Color and Light" to compare an illuminated lampshade with your shade. It appears to follow the original very closely in the placement of the oval cabochon-shaped pieces placed in the pinky glass area.

Is it a Tiffany? I don't think so. Tiffany glass pieces usually have more variations in the glass. For example, the green glass above the pinky glass would have more colors of green and brown in each cut piece. On the other hand.....and without seeing the original base....who knows...

One can purchase very close patterns of some Tiffany pieces and fabricate a shade. The dragonfly is available also as a 'fitting'. There are a lot of cheap imports available that vary in following the original depending on the price.

There are numerous shades of this design on e-bay. One that appears to be the same as yours is about
$125.00 You are the one to decide how much you want to put into the garden.

One thought....as a glass lover, the beauty of this lamp is only truly shown when there is a light source inside the shade. I would encourage you to put some kind of light inside if it goes into the garden, and that would be stunning!!

Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here