Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Porcelain ID

Posted by stumpy041486 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 10, 11 at 10:32

Can anyone ID these? How old are they? Do they have any value?

Thanks

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/stumpy041486/IMG_1910.jpg[/IMG]

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Porcelain ID

The First cup and saucer marks are so blurry I can't ID it....but the bottom pieces are all what was collectively known as Geisha Ware.
The site linked below should allow you to ID the backstamps and get a name and age on them.
And yes, they have value.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese porcelain marks

o

Thanks for the reply. I have already looked on that website, but I couldn't find anything. Is this image any better?

Photobucket

o

Well, it has the characters for nichi hon...on there...meaning Nippon...but I don't know the rest.

o
RE: Japanese Porcelain ID again

And I believe the red mark is the Kutani mark...

o

Due some online research of 1000 faces china pieces. There are a number of pieces that fall into that category; your first cup/saucer might be one of them. I have two cups/saucers that are different from yours, but sadly, they are packed away awaiting a better display cabinet, so I can't check the back stamp. Mine are circa 1880's. Yours would definitely have value if in excellent condition.

o

Thousand faces is a pattern...a theme that was used by many porcelain makers, Kutani and Noritaki among some. The first cup and saucer is not the "usual" thousand faces in that it has different looking faces and not the usual brightly colored bands/stripes representing the kimonos....but I would sure call it thousand faces pattern.
The kutani mark was on one of the Geisha ware sets.

o

lindac: you're right in that the first cup and saucer is not the "usual" thousand faces that I am familiar with in that is has different looking faces; I know that there are many patterns claiming the thousand faces -- I'm feeling an urge to open up those boxes of my tea cups to find my thousand faces pieces and admire them again. (I did not know that the colored bands/stripes represented kimonos) -- such good info. At any rate I think there is a good reason for stumpy to pursue the 1000 faces theme.

o

i have a vase with the marking. I been looking for days and got no where please help..

o

here the vase

o

Stumpy or anyone!
Stumpy's pics 6 and 8 match the 1,000 Face marks on some cups and saucers I have. I went through the Gotheborg site and was unable to find these marks. I have some dinner plates with a different mark then I have some unusual tea cups that sit on a plate that holds food next to it as well as small sake or spice bowls. The small bowls and unusual tea cup/ap plates just say, "Made in Japan". Any help identifying would be great! My Grandparents bought this stuff in the 20's while living in Panama.

o

dinner plate mark

o

This is the mark on the saucer. Although it is worn, it appears to be the same as Stumpy's in pic 6 and 8. Did we find the maker?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here