Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stumpy041486

Japanese Porcelain ID

stumpy041486
13 years ago

Can anyone ID these? How old are they? Do they have any value?

Thanks

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c27/stumpy041486/IMG_1910.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (14)

• lindac
    13 years ago

The First cup and saucer marks are so blurry I can't ID it....but the bottom pieces are all what was collectively known as Geisha Ware.
    The site linked below should allow you to ID the backstamps and get a name and age on them.
    And yes, they have value.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese porcelain marks

• stumpy041486
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I have already looked on that website, but I couldn't find anything. Is this image any better?

• lindac
    13 years ago

Well, it has the characters for nichi hon...on there...meaning Nippon...but I don't know the rest.

• lindac
    13 years ago

And I believe the red mark is the Kutani mark...

• annie1971
    13 years ago

Due some online research of 1000 faces china pieces. There are a number of pieces that fall into that category; your first cup/saucer might be one of them. I have two cups/saucers that are different from yours, but sadly, they are packed away awaiting a better display cabinet, so I can't check the back stamp. Mine are circa 1880's. Yours would definitely have value if in excellent condition.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Thousand faces is a pattern...a theme that was used by many porcelain makers, Kutani and Noritaki among some. The first cup and saucer is not the "usual" thousand faces in that it has different looking faces and not the usual brightly colored bands/stripes representing the kimonos....but I would sure call it thousand faces pattern.
    The kutani mark was on one of the Geisha ware sets.

• annie1971
    13 years ago

lindac: you're right in that the first cup and saucer is not the "usual" thousand faces that I am familiar with in that is has different looking faces; I know that there are many patterns claiming the thousand faces -- I'm feeling an urge to open up those boxes of my tea cups to find my thousand faces pieces and admire them again. (I did not know that the colored bands/stripes represented kimonos) -- such good info. At any rate I think there is a good reason for stumpy to pursue the 1000 faces theme.

• Oakes
    10 years ago

i have a vase with the marking. I been looking for days and got no where please help..

• Oakes
    10 years ago

here the vase

• chefjas1960
    10 years ago

Stumpy or anyone!
    Stumpy's pics 6 and 8 match the 1,000 Face marks on some cups and saucers I have. I went through the Gotheborg site and was unable to find these marks. I have some dinner plates with a different mark then I have some unusual tea cups that sit on a plate that holds food next to it as well as small sake or spice bowls. The small bowls and unusual tea cup/ap plates just say, "Made in Japan". Any help identifying would be great! My Grandparents bought this stuff in the 20's while living in Panama.

• chefjas1960
    10 years ago

dinner plate mark

• chefjas1960
    10 years ago

This is the mark on the saucer. Although it is worn, it appears to be the same as Stumpy's in pic 6 and 8. Did we find the maker?

• jaynewhalen1
    7 years ago

i cant find this mark anywhere anyone have any ideas thanks

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Generally speaking if there is English writing such as "Made in Japan" those would be later wares and I imagine not worth a large amount. The earlier ones with marks, which are quite attractive, would be worth more since I imagine they are older.