Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrinka_fido

? for 'antiquesilver'/any RE:Int'l Silver Co symbol (date mark?)

Katrinka_Fido
12 years ago

Help me through a senior moment. What do you call this little mark above International Silver Co? Is it a date mark to when? It is on the bottom of a covered dish/bowl my mother rec'd in early 50's from a relatives hand me downs.

TIA, Katrinka

Comments (14)

• lindac
    12 years ago

I believe that's the number of the design. Both of the decoration and the shape. As far as I know International didn't use date numbers on plated ware.
    But Antiquesilver has lots of books, she may know something I don't.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Do you mean the little 3-part thing at the very top? I'm not sure (& not at home) but don't think plated ware was usually date stamped. I'll see what I can find when I get home tonight.

Is is a really high end piece? Like something that required special workmanship & this might be the silversmith's mark? My experience is that electroplated holloware marks were primarily for the manufacturer & meaningless to the rest of us.

• Katrinka_Fido
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I'm referring to the little 3-part thing, not the SF0499[64], tend to agree w/lindac maybe pattern. Dont believe a high end piece yet quality heft-not a thin wall dish. I know Reed&Barton used date symbols on silverplate/ holloware(some good,some not so)& thought the symbols where pretty reliable. I've seen Int'l both SILVER & plate claiming a date by a symbol, now more scrambled as to what to believe.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Can you post a clearer picture of the mark in question? I thought that was a smudge on the camera lens.

• Katrinka_Fido
    Original Author
    12 years ago

78 shots later & a dead camera battery this is what I got. Sorry, I DONT RECOMMEND KODAK RETINAR Aspheric Lens 35-105 mm(Equiv.) AF 3X Optical Zoom EASY SHARE!!!!!!

• Katrinka_Fido
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the 1st pic is more true to image. Not 3 diamonds but more like 'off kilter' rectangles with one being much smaller.

• lindac
    12 years ago

LOL! But you got a nice clear picture!! And I still have no idea!
    Actually the style of the whole piece would give a better idea of the date it was made.
    Might I suggest you recharge the battery and try again, but skip the zoom. Just a picture of the whole piece!

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

I checked Rainwater's "Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers" (which has the most detailed marks section)& came up with zip! Nothing about year marks or anything remotely like your mark for International. Reed & Barton or Gorham, sure - but nothing for Int'l.

• Katrinka_Fido
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gosh was so looking forward to knowing what that mark was hoping for a date. I've seen it on other Int'l pieces (etsy,ebay, Ruby Lane)with claims it was a date mark with such a broad range 1910-40s just thought I'd ask antiquesilver, she'd know & do appreciate your time looking it up. My dish I assumed from maybe within 10 year from when Mom rec'd from her Aunt. Here are the pics lindac. Am I in the right ballpark? 40's? 3.5" tall, weight of 22oz thicker wall yet similar to Paul Revere style bowls without the curved out lip. None of my .925silver P Rever bowls are this thick (wish they were). I had to leave the lid on because the flash keeps going off-even though it's shut off and the room lighting is fine. Turn off room light & then the flash wont come on. GETTING A NEW CAMERA TOMORROW, this one is junk! By the way lindac, the 78 try attempt earlier was not using the zoom, camera just kept flipping to 'auto focus' and blurred it out.LOL My old Yashica NEVER gave me the fits this one has.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

If anyone on the other forums has evidence that it's a date mark, I'd be curious to know the reference. I didn't go through every book I had but Rainwater's is usually the best.

Stylewise, it says 1940's to me probably because of the flat, ear-like handles but that's just a guess.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Below is a link to an interesting article on Int'l Silver. If this person is correct, your dish would be dated to 1964 as indicated by the numbers in the box.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay Silver guides

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well....duh!....now I see it! It's railroad silver! That explains the weight and the simple lines.
    Sorry, should have spotted that sooner.
    Linda C

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

If the date mark is 64, how can Katrinka's mother have got it in the 50s?

• lindac
    12 years ago

The key point in the article is that the International codes did vary.