Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doris104

Help with Grandmas Pitchers/Vases

doris104
13 years ago

I was told that I may have more luck with these items in this forum. If anyone can help me with values or identities, please let me know. Thanks

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/treasure/msg0122535731903.html?3

Comments (13)

• lindac
    13 years ago

The first if a Limoges piece....Jean Pouyat a porcelain maker who was part of a large family of potters. That mark was in use between 1891 and 1932. The wares they made were sold either undecorated or simply decorated with a gold band. At the turn of the century it was a thing for ladies to "take up" china painting as a hobby and often the ordered their undecorated china from JP in Limoges. the initials you see are those of the person who painted the design. Could they have been your grandmother's initials?
    I'll get back with you on the other pieces.
    Linda C

• lindac
    13 years ago

It's Takito Ware...made somewhere between 1922 and 1944....and as it says "hand painted in Japan"...
    The Bavarian piece is another hand painted number....blank ordered from Bavaria also dating from the early part of the 20th century. Can you find where it's signed?
    As for value? Why do you want to know? The bottom has dropped out of the market for fancy hand painted china...
    I looked on ebay in completed sales and couldn't find one sold item.
    The pitchers ought to be worth $125 to $175....but you will be hard pressed to find a buyer for more than $25.
    The Japanese piece should be worth $45 to $75....but again the problem is in finding a buyer.
    Insure them well....and someday the market will turn around.
    Linda C

• doris104
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help. At least I have a place to start and thanks for being open about the market. I'm not even sure that I want to sell them. I think they are beautiful and well worth more than 25.00 to me...so I'm sure they will hang around for a while....

• Fori
    13 years ago

Very pretty! Do you think it's possible that your grandmother did the painting?

• doris104
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those aren't her initials and she wasn't that creative. I was told that one was bought at an auction and the others were given to her for some work she did. I just love them and don't know if I will sell or keep.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Why would you sell them if you like them and the $100 or so you might get for them wouldn't make a big difference in your life?
    They are lovely....and were something your grandmother loved. Enjoy them and pass them on to your kids....or grand kids.
    Linda C

• doris104
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My kids wouldn't appreciate the beauty of these pieces and I really don't have a good spot to keep them. I don't want them buried in a box where no one can see them either. But I just don't know if I can part with them.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Your kids may grow to learn to appreciate them....or marry someone who does.....or have children who do.
    Once gone you can never get them back.

• Fori
    13 years ago

She had good taste. Kids change. Sometimes for the better!

• eandhl
    13 years ago

IF you eventually part with them I hope some family member will show interest. It's sad to sell off family pieces.

• doris104
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't write me off as a bum yet!! LOL I didn't say I was going to sell them...only that I think they would be more appreciated by someone who collects them. I need to find out more of the family history of them and them see where it goes. I think they a gorgeous and would hate to sell them myself, so I haven't decided to get rid of them. Thanks for the input...it has helped me to realize that they are more precious. I think the fact that my dad wants to sell them so that the family won't fight over them and he doesn't want to decide who they go to is a big part of the problem, so it's not totally up to me.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Tell your dad to have a lottery....have people draw straws....
    Or have people who like something put their name on ti....

• doris104
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good ideas....I'll let him know.