Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlc102482

Protecting oversized 1809 letter?

jlc102482
11 years ago

I have recently come into possession of a letter written in 1809. It had been in a basement for many years, folded up and stored in a metal box. The paper it's written on is quite thick but the letter has been damaged along the folds. It's a very large sheet of paper, maybe 22" square or so. I'd like to put it in a plastic protective sleeve so it can be stored unfolded and also so that it can be read, but I can't seem to find any that are large enough. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• triciae
    11 years ago

I have a collection of antique maps and I'm thinking the covers I use should do the trick for your needs. What a fun find.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Map protective covers

• jlc102482
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much.

The letter was a fun find, although the content made me laugh. It's a letter by a son to his mother, and it vacillates between son telling mother how work is going, and how he hopes she is still wearing flannel. There are seriously 3-4 paragraphs touting the wonders of flannel, and the letter closes with 3-4 more paragraphs quoted from some physician's text of the day (I forget the doctor's name) who was clearly also a huge flannel fan.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Maybe what you need is some sort of archival frame so you can display it!

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

Not all clear plastic sheaves are safe for archival storage of paper based documents. I've seen polypropylene rated for archival sheet protectors. Make sure that the material is rated for archival storage and non-sticking.

I recently bought a package of sheet protectors for genealogical storage. Sheet protectors are available up to legal size (8.5 in X 14 in)

I have the same problem that you have. I've got an original Captain's Muster Roll for the Black Hawk War, 1832. It is a printed form on a double wide legal size sheet. All entries are handwritten. There are faint notes on it that must have been made during the campaign and that adds evidence this document was carried by the Captain during the pursuit of Black Hawk's Band.

This document is falling apart and needs serious protection. It has lead a harsh life.