Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help ID settee

Posted by nutmeger (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 7:58

Hello,
I purchased this cute settee at auction over the weekend. I have searched the internet a bit to get an idea on its age but can't find anything quite like it. Does anyone have any ideas? Please let me know if you need more info. It does have casters that are wooden in the front, the rear ones appear to have fallen off. I think the wood color was stained mahogany, but I don't think its mahogany as the scratched areas are much lighter. The recessed areas around the carvings are pock-marked.
Thanks! -- Pauline

photo 99ea1b41-5276-4dd1-b5ea-7290df06e7a0_zps864a5892.jpg

photo afaf1e3d-625d-4885-9c5b-724ca53bc707_zpsf741e1fc.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help ID settee

Examine the legs and casters carefully. It is possible that all it ever had was 2 casters in front. The sette could be moved by tipping up the back and moving it around akin to a wheelbarrow. Once the sette was put back down, it would stay in place and not scoot around.

If it had 4 casters and the back two are now missing, it would not sit properly; it would tilt back very moticeable. To correct this, either the front legs would have to be shortened, or a piece added to the rear legs. If the front legs were shortened, the seat height would be too low and its valued lowered - maybe ruined- as well.

If it sits right, the seat height seems ok, and there is no evidence of a piece added to the rear legs, it probably had only the front casters when new.

o
RE: Please help ID settee

Thanks for the info. The rear legs do have holes on the bottom where I assume casters once where. It does not appear to be tilting. It actually seems fine. Maybe it sit a little forward before?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here