Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rackfocus

Singer Antique Sewing Machine.

rackfocus
16 years ago

There is this box in our living room we have never opened before. So I decided to open it. After figuring out that the key on top went into a not very key shaped hole on the side, I found this awesome, still working machine. My mom and I have no idea how old it is, and we were wondering if anyone here would be able to offer some insight.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/thepretender_/n50300691_32165625_2169.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/thepretender_/n50300691_32165631_619.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/thepretender_/n50300691_32165623_1451.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c28/thepretender_/n50300691_32165624_1808.jpg

Comments (15)

• mfrog
    16 years ago

You can look up the date using the serial number using this website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Date your machine

• daesaflgatorfan
    16 years ago

mfrog's link is my choice for dating my Singers. I have a 1925 cabinet based treadle model, made in Great Britain, with the exact same hood and handle. I don't have the key though, and from what I gather, it's somewhat rare to have the key! (I wish I could get a copy of yours.) I picked up my machine in a junk store in southern Spain.

• alisande
    16 years ago

Thanks, Mfrog! I used your link to determine that my mother's sewing machine is from 1941.

Rackfocus, how old is yours? Here's a tip for you: If you click on the words HTML Code under a Photobucket photo, it copies the code for you. You can then go here and paste it into your post. (I use Ctrl+V, but you could also go up to the Edit menu and select Paste.) That way, all your photos will appear in the post.

• mfrog
    16 years ago

daesaflgatorfan; I had an antique store for many years, every dealer I knew had a box of misc keys, I used to have many sewing machine keys. Perhaps you could pop around to shops near you & ask. The are little flat ugly keys that have no decorative value so you should be able to get them for very little $.

• daesaflgatorfan
    16 years ago

I'll try that. It won't work, as I just realized the lock mechanism is missing as well. Maybe I'll get lucky and find the whole deal.

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

We inherited one just like this from DH's mother, but we've never opened it becaue we don't have the key - now I'm curious. Maybe I'll try picking the lock. LOL!
    Hester

• damascusannie
    16 years ago

It's a Singer 99, a 3/4 sized portable. The decal pattern is known as "Filigree." If you send me the serial number, I can send you the exact day that it was commissioned. I'm a collector and user of antique and vintage sewing machines with more than 70 machines in my collection. You can see a few of my favorites at the link below. This weekend I hosted a quilting retreat and we did all our sewing on treadle sewing machines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique sewing machines

• daesaflgatorfan
    16 years ago

Annie, that's quite a collection you have there! Love the quilts. I have four vintage sewing machines, the Singer treadle I mentioned earlier, a Singer knee lever, a "portable" Graybar, complete in it's original wood case, and a turquoise Monarch. The Monarch belonged to my husband's grandmother, and I'd like to know more about it. It came with all manners of attachments, and once I get it rewired, (even the cord and plug are turquoise, btw), I'll be using it. Would you be willing to help me?

• damascusannie
    16 years ago

Ok, the Monarch will most likely be a Japanese made 15 class machine. Does it have a plate at the base of the upright pillar that says "Precision Deluxe" or something like that? If it does, it's definitely a post-war Japanese 15. These flooded the American market under an almost limitless assortment of names. They came in several colors, black and turquoise are the most common but we also see blue, pink (most sought after by collectors), white, mocha and two-toned (also highly sought). They are fun to collect because they are quite common and still reasonably priced.

These are great machines. I use them for free-motion quilting and keep at least two on hand at all time. If it's a portable, you can get replacement motors and foot-pedals very reasonably. I can give you the name of a supplier if you need one.

Annie

Annie

• jungleking813_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I recently came into a large lot of sewing machines, some of which are antiques! Anyone who can help me identify them or may interested in aquiring any of these macines, please let me know? I have started taking inventory and testing them!I have 34 portables and 10 tables. Thus far, I have vintage Singers, Monarchs, Stitchmasters, a vintage New Home. many brands and many ages. Thank you in advance for any help or request for info.

Kim

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Kim--If you post pictures I can help you ID and, in some cases, date your machines.

Annie

• kim1164
    15 years ago

Annie, How do post pics on here?

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

I have no idea! Do you have a place that you can post them on the 'net--like webshots or picasa? If so, just give me the link and I'll go there. That might be better than cluttering up the list with a lot of pictures anyway. OR, you can e-mail them to me directly at toomanydogs@chibardun.net

Annie

• kim1164
    15 years ago

Annie,
    Thanks, I will get pics taken and email them to you directly!

Thanks Again, Kim

• lascema
    12 years ago

Does anyone own a 1930 Singer 101 with knee treadle? If so,do you like how it sews? How does it perform compared to other old models? I am about to buy one with a beautiful cabinet and many attachments and manual. Thanks for any input.