I have been going to garage sales

and flea markets for almost three

months now. Recently I bought two old oil

paintings 8 x 10 inches and with the words

(hecho en mexico) written

at the back of the frames. These frames

are quite old and contain mud deposits. The

paintings on the other hand are still nice

but I think will need some professional restoration.

I would like to know what these paintings

are so that I may know if restoring the

paintings will be worth the effort.

I would like to post a picture but do not know.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (6)

• lindac
    18 years ago

Most likely someone's aunt painted them, bought cheap Mexican frames and put the pictures in then got sick of them and put them in a garage sale.
    But they could, I suppose be original Diego Riveras...
    No one will be able to tell you anything unless they see atleast a picture of the paintings.
    Linda C

• lindac
    18 years ago

Here are the pictures in the above post......and I don't think these are by someone's aunt....unless that aunt was a skilled artist.
    {{gwi:1375900}}
    And another:
    {{gwi:1375901}}

• Ideefixe
    18 years ago

The Windmill at Wijk bij Duurstede is a very similar painting. You probably have a copy.

Hecho en Mexico means "made in Mexico", but I'm sure you knew that.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Windmill at Wijk bij Duurstede

• lindac
    18 years ago

A ta-dah moment and a bit of internet wearching.....and enlarging the photo that was sent...made the light bulb go on!
    What you have is a print that has been printed onto a canvas like background and then doctored, or decorated or whatever, with a modge-podge sort of stuff to give it some texture and make it look sort of like an oil painting.
    The original by Jacob von Ruisdael is much too famous for you to find it in a garage sale set into a bad Mexican frame.
    The pictures are decorative.....certainly not worth spending anything on restoring, if that were possible. I would get that bad black ...looks like velvet, mat out of that frame, spray the frame gold and rub some walnut stain over the gold paint and enjoy the pictures for what they are....
    Linda C

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    18 years ago

Get a strong magnifying glass and see if you can see colored "dots": that would be a tip off that's it's printed, no matter what crackle medium might be over it. There is a newer reproduction process now (called "giclee") that shows no dots, but it's recent enough and still expensive enough that it's unlikely that giclee prints would be showing up yet in garage sales.

• renue
    18 years ago

If you like the paintings, then that's all that matters! Hang them on the wall and enjoy. I would guess the framed paintings (or prints possibly) are worth about $5 to $25 each; therefore, not worth restoring. Best of luck.