I have been going to garage sales
and flea markets for almost three
months now. Recently I bought two old oil
paintings 8 x 10 inches and with the words
(hecho en mexico) written
at the back of the frames. These frames
are quite old and contain mud deposits. The
paintings on the other hand are still nice
but I think will need some professional restoration.
I would like to know what these paintings
are so that I may know if restoring the
paintings will be worth the effort.

I would like to post a picture but do not know.
Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unsigned old oil paintings

Most likely someone's aunt painted them, bought cheap Mexican frames and put the pictures in then got sick of them and put them in a garage sale.
But they could, I suppose be original Diego Riveras...
No one will be able to tell you anything unless they see atleast a picture of the paintings.
Linda C

o

Here are the pictures in the above post......and I don't think these are by someone's aunt....unless that aunt was a skilled artist.
Image hosting by Photobucket
And another:
Image hosting by Photobucket

o

The Windmill at Wijk bij Duurstede is a very similar painting. You probably have a copy.

Hecho en Mexico means "made in Mexico", but I'm sure you knew that.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Windmill at Wijk bij Duurstede

o

A ta-dah moment and a bit of internet wearching.....and enlarging the photo that was sent...made the light bulb go on!
What you have is a print that has been printed onto a canvas like background and then doctored, or decorated or whatever, with a modge-podge sort of stuff to give it some texture and make it look sort of like an oil painting.
The original by Jacob von Ruisdael is much too famous for you to find it in a garage sale set into a bad Mexican frame.
The pictures are decorative.....certainly not worth spending anything on restoring, if that were possible. I would get that bad black ...looks like velvet, mat out of that frame, spray the frame gold and rub some walnut stain over the gold paint and enjoy the pictures for what they are....
Linda C

o

Get a strong magnifying glass and see if you can see colored "dots": that would be a tip off that's it's printed, no matter what crackle medium might be over it. There is a newer reproduction process now (called "giclee") that shows no dots, but it's recent enough and still expensive enough that it's unlikely that giclee prints would be showing up yet in garage sales.

o

If you like the paintings, then that's all that matters! Hang them on the wall and enjoy. I would guess the framed paintings (or prints possibly) are worth about $5 to $25 each; therefore, not worth restoring. Best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here