Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justlinda_gw

This spoon is used for ...... what????

justlinda
14 years ago

This spoon is not antique, old or valuable, but it is very peculiar in shape and design.

It is about 4 3/4" long, and the bowl seems to be sideways and has sort of square holes punched out on one end. On the back is says "Sepelia~Stainless Chromium Plate on Nickel Silver ~ Sheffield, England". Does anyone know what it is called, or what it would be used for?

{{gwi:1375761}}

{{gwi:1375762}}

{{gwi:1375763}}

Comments (14)

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

The small, sideways ladles that I've seen were normally for serving a vinegarette, but the holes kinda ruin that purpose. To drain olives, maybe????

• lindac
    14 years ago

For pickle relish....

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

My guess: An olive spoon for fishing olives out of the pickling juice and dropping into a martini. The holes allow the juice to drain away.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Olive spoons usually have long handles.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Makes no sense to use a spoon for picking up olives when a fork would do as well and leave the juice behind.
    It's for something you want a little bit of and that you want to drain the juice off of....and that comes in pieces bigger than the holes in the spoon, and the curved handle tells me it's something served in a bowl.
    And all I could think of fitting those parameters was pickle relish.

• Fori
    14 years ago

Oh, I think an olive spoon is far superior to an olive fork! Easier to catch the olive, for one thing. And no holes in the olive.

But it doesn't look like an olive spoon (I sort of had an olive spoon quest a while ago because a fork really DIDn't work for me, so I've seen many types). It looks like you tilt it one way to drain and then the other way to pour out the stuff. The spout allows you to put it where you want it. A precision tool! I could picture applying relish to a hotdog with it. Left-handed people are forced to adapt, of course.

• stolenidentity
    14 years ago

boiled eggs? I love that spoon!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Eggs! Now THAT makes sense given the "Sepelia~Stainless Chromium Plate on Nickel Silver ~ Sheffield, England marking.

Why else would someone plate stainless over silver?

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Nickel Silver has no silver in it; it's metal alloy used as a base for plated articles. I'm sure the formula varies but it's similar to German silver (not to be confused with .800 silver from Germany), white metal & Brittania.

• pris
    14 years ago

Hmmm. Rather than being scoop shaped it's egg shaped. Of course that would depend on what size the bowl is. If it's smaller than the average egg then probably not. That's the problem with photos with no size reference to judge by. I guess the OP will have to let us know. How about it JL?

• justlinda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Umm... here's a pic with a "large size" egg on the spoon. Not so sure that would work, a little wobbly! And a pic with my hand for size reference.

Thanks for all the guesses as to what this weird little spoon might be used for.

{{gwi:1375764}}

{{gwi:1375766}}

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

As Sweeby suggested on another thread, maybe this is for serving capers.

• Fori
    14 years ago

It's got a bit of a spout so you can put your whatsit precisely where you want it. Does one ever serve capers as a condiment? I really don't know, but the size is right.

• lindac
    14 years ago

I am sounding like a broken record....but "pickle relish"