Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying drop leaf table

Posted by bandjo97 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 23:31

Hi all,
I have this table that my friend's dad restored/refinished for us many years ago. Needless to say it was used a lot!

But - now I am curious. She said it was an antique, but I can't find any info at all about it. There's no markings on it at all and the images I googled don't have the same lower shelf or end panels.

We are running out of room and wasn't sure if it was something we should hold on to or pass along to some friends.

Not the best pics and I didn't clean up, so ignore the mess in the background.

photo table1_zpsb5f2f5c3.jpg

photo table2_zps694a4b06.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying drop leaf table

..you may have better luck with your research if you use the keyword 'gate leg' rather than drop leaf. If the leaf is supported by a bracket when folded up, the table is simply a drop-leaf table; if the leaf is supported by legs that swing out from the center, and it looks like this is the case here, its known as a gate leg table. hope this helps you a little bit? good luck.

o

You might not find anything - many older pieces are pretty unique, and no one has put most of them on the internet.

Don't quote me on this, but the wood grain to me suggests pine on the legs, and on the top, possibly plywood over hardwood - you can sometimes see the board edges through the stain if this is the case. Together this would make it a less valuable piece, and probably from the 30-40s. It's a cute little thing and practical, nothing to be embarrassed about having in the house, but not heirloom quality (and even with heirloom quality, if you don't have space you don't have space).

Karin L

o

I was thinking 30s-40s from the style.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here