Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth1993

Figurine made from Salt

downsouth1993
13 years ago

Hi All,

I have attached a link to a photo of a figurine made from salt that I purchased from a garage sale. I have done an online search on this type of figurine and the only one I found was on Ebay very similar to mine. Does anyone have any information on this type of figurine?

Here is a link that might be useful: Figurine Made From Salt

Comments (7)

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

So if it is salt what is holding it together?? It's a very nice piece probably from 1920-30's made of alabaster I think Art Deco & 1 of just woman & deer is listed at $500 in 2003 Schroeder's Antiques price guide. Quite a treasure! It may be marked Italy on it somewhere, on bottom or near bottom edge or hidden around base somewhere. If I remember right, this is not something you wash in water. It was very popular in 1920-50's I had a number of busts of Chopin, Bach etc given to me by my piano teacher. Yours is really special with the number of animals & the graceful lady.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Salt figurines were "sort of popular" in the 50's...and all that I have seen have been made in italy.
    They are different than alabaster figurines, more opaque....and, of course dissolve in water.
    Not Deco, lots later. The style is late 40's to early 50's.
    I don't know if they were carved out of a block fo salt or made from a salt clay.
    Linda C

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

They were carved out of a fine-grained rock salt. My neighbor had one - also from Italy of the 1950s.

• downsouth1993
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the input all. I bought it for $40. I do not see Italy anywhere on it. It is browning somewhat and may have worn off. I do love it since I am all about dogs. I'm going to see if I can contact the folks I bought it for (I did their virtual tour of their home when it when up for sale), and see if the smaller one was sold.

• calicocat73
    10 years ago

I have 2 dove figurines that are made of salt. They kinda looks like the one in this picture ( I have 2 different poses,) but this is a similar one I found on ebay. Mine looks like someone cleaned it and some of the salt has worn off. they are very white and have a gold and red sticker on the bottom that says "Norleans hand made in Italy" Is there a way I can find out anything about their age and/or value?

• downsouth1993
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Calicocat73,
    Did you ever find out more about your cute bird figurine?

• marcincon
    10 years ago

hi - after looking at the photo i believe i have a similar salt figurine with 3 ladies possibly Greek mythology made in Italy from 1940-50's carved out of fine grained rock salt that my mother had for years. My question is that now I have it after she passed away that one of the ladie's head broke off. How do you repair a broken salt figurine? tried using super glue but it doesn't stick ... any suggestions?