Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you call this?

Posted by peachydeva (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 23:20

I bought this beauty at auction for $1.00. It's really quite beautiful (pictures don't do it justice). Vintage 70s, perhaps earlier... the glass of the bowl and cups (which can both be removed from the wrought-iron frame) are blown glass (? they have air bubbles in them) and the beads and leaves are glass (Venetian?) Bottom of the bowl has a sticker that says "Made in India." The glass bead garland is wired to the wrought-iron frame. Very nicely composed and never used... still has the original tag.. someone paid $54.99 for this, new.

My question is... what would you call this thing? It's obviously designed to be a centerpiece on a dining table... so an epergne maybe? The cups are meant to hold candles, I think. Any ideas?

blue epergne

epergne closeup

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you call this?

It is what it says it is....a table centerpiece with a glass garland made in India. I bought a very similar one for a gift a year ago but instead of a circle it was in a straight line. Cost about $40.
It's not old, the glass isn't Venetian and it isn't blown....but it's pretty if that color works in your house.
Linda C

o
RE: What would you call this?

thanks Linda!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here