Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raetaylor

Vintage pottery

raetaylor
11 years ago

I found this hiding in my attic.... No idea how old or who made it. It has no marks. It does have 3 holes for hanging. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another photo

• karinl
    11 years ago

I wonder if it's part of an elaborate old light fixture?

Photo of the inside might be useful. Is it wood, plaster, or what?

Karin L

• karinl
    11 years ago

Sorry, you said pottery...

Karin L

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The inside is plain smooth. I am pretty sure it's a pot for hanging flowers. I've seen similar by weller pottery but not this pattern.

• mfrog
    11 years ago

Is it Weller Wild Rose pattern that's had a rough life? I've seen that style of glaze? before, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. GG

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the finish looks similar to redwing brushware. I don't know if it was made this way? I do know that it's been in my attic for years. I found it along with a parasol, and tailors French curve and square that had been tucked beneath a board .... The tailor implements probably lost usefulness before 1940 ? and the parasol fabric had rotted away almost completely. These were all put away together. I'm just guessing but maybe made sometime before 1940?.

• justlinda
    11 years ago

I seem to see three little feet-like projections on the top piece. Could these possibly be feet and the item is shown upside-down?

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol Justlinda.... you are right, that is the bottom. I guess i should have said that :/ I turned it bottom up so you could see the the design as the inside of the pot is just smooth. I suppose the feet are there if you choose to set it on a table instead of hang it!

• karinl
    11 years ago

If it is a hanging pot, the feet are nice for when you are potting - round bottoms are hard to work with! But if it's meant to stand, or, the other way, support something, then it would have been meant to be glass so you could see the pattern. No point in making the bottom of something that beautiful otherwise.

Karin L

• calliope
    11 years ago

It hasn't had a rough life. It's meant to look that way and actually seems to be in pretty good shape. Our community manufactured these for eons and I have several similar pieces now. It's meant to be an outside piece and is indeed a jardiniere. Hard to tell on the age, they've been popular in this style for decades and decades. I am not familiar with this particular pattern, so won't say who made it but that's the clue to aging it. If you know the pattern, you'll know the manufacturer and most stoneware producers have a history and you can see the dates they were producing that pattern. I have some Weller reference books and I'll see if it isn't listed.

• mfrog
    11 years ago

I just haven't seen that really matte style glaze on Weller pieces, that's why I was asking if it maybe had a rough life. It will be interesting to find out exactly what it is.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I have no clue at this point who made it. It was a common finish for garden pieces and could have been any one of a number of producers.

• Richard Dollard
    11 years ago

I have a piece with the same finish and a pink flower. I believe it's redwing. Look on ebay and search for brushware and then click on completed items and there is a hanging basket there. Here is a link below to red wing collectors where you can ask the experts.

Here is a link that might be useful: red wing

• raetaylor
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the info.... I'm still searching for the pattern, so far the weller rose is the closest match. I guess I have more research to do!