Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyd_svh

Wooden, pear-shaped candleholder: antique or shabby chic?

bradleyd_svh
9 years ago

Any idea on the age of this (apparently) wooden candlestick? Don't know if it is actually old or just shabby chic-ed. Shaft is 19 inches tall from base to candleholder rim. Base is 5.75 inches across. Texture of the paint appears rough, almost tar-like.

Comments (4)

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Full view

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close-up of base to show the rough texture of the paint, or shellac, etc.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

I don't know anything about your candle stick. The finish on the column is similar to that I have seen on antique clocks.

There is a bad seasoning crack in the wood of the upper bulbous part. Cracking like this can be reduced if the wood has been saturated with linseed oil. I have a bare wood carving of a bear sitting on my fireplace hearth, It made of poplar. The carver advised me to keep applying linseed oil until it would not absorb any more. That was a messy process and I had to keep the little bear sittin on something to keep from staining the hearth. After about 6 months, it dried completely and has not cracked. That was 35 years ago. The bear is carved out of a solid piece of wood about12 inches in diameter.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input and the advice on linseed oil. Hoping that will not cause issues with the paint/finish, though I would rather have to repaint it than see it slowly fall apart.

Another peculiar feature: See the "stem" of the pear "pushing" against the bottom of the drip plate? It seems that the drip plate is deliberately slanted. Hoping that someone reading this might recognize that as a particular style feature. As in "Oh yes, that is reminiscent of the xxxx-xxxx style, done in xxth decade of the xxth century." I can be accused of grasping at straws with that hope, but it has been my experience that each of us knows at least one little fact that the most scholarly expert does not.

The clock comparison is interesting too. Maybe I should start researching "antique finishes" or the like.