Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old/ antique looking lamp

Posted by lisamarie1 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 21:39

I have a pale yellow glass table lamp. it has bronze supporting ring and base. It looks old, and has a rose pattern etched into the shade and base. It lights at the base and under the shade. The supporting ring holding the shade up is a lace looking design and the top of the shade looks like it ruffles out. any help would be greatly appriciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old/ antique looking lamp

A picture would make an opinion possible....sounds like it might be an old oil lamp, but can't say much without a picture.

o

Maybe "gone with the wind" lamp or a not-quite-so-old Colonial table lamp? You might do image searches for both terms and see if you recognize anything.

Karin L

o

I'm sorry, but without a picture I don't think anyone can go very far with this one. You have exactly described a lamp I have I purchased in the early seventies from a gift shop. It wasn't an el-cheapo from a box store, nor cheap, but it was a reproduction. The light in the base statement makes me suspicious yours might be as well. Does it have a key to turn on the upper light (sits inside a chimney)? A key made to look like the one you'd lengthen the wick with? That's usually the tip-off it's a reproduction. Electrified oil lamps usually have the control switches elsewhere because the old key to lengthen the wick would have been preserved and be non-functional.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here