Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
_mo_

Where is W. St. Goodfellow Dr.?

Mo
12 years ago

This is a partial scan of a handwritten document I obtained some years ago. It was in a box of stuff I bought at a flea market. Looks like an invoice for hardware and building supplies. It's dated October 29, 1889, and it appears to say Smith and Irwin, To W. St. Goodfellow Dr.

I'm assuming someone built a house or some other structure on W. St. Goodfellow Dr., and Smith and Irwin was the hardware/building supply store. Every now and then I search the internet for the store and the street, but haven't found anything. I don't even know if they're located in the US.

Maybe someone here can help me figure out where this came from?

Comments (5)

• chibimimi
    12 years ago

I'm guessing that the structure being built might have been at the corner of West Street and Goodfellow Drive. There are several Goodfellow Drives in the US -- Dallas, Fitchburg,Orinda, Ft. Wayne -- according to Google Maps. You could research to see which also cross a West Street.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

Its an interesting list. I see glass, sash lifts, hinges, door stripes, pump and tubing, knob screws, and a variety of screws ordered at differeing times. BUT no nails! These are typical items used by a finish carpenter as supplied by a vendor of interior hardware. Maybe they had to go to a hardware store or blacksmith for nails.

The list begins in February and continues beyond June. This is a very long time for a finish carpenter to do finish one dwelling. Apparently, the bill is to Smith and Irwin at one address. Maybe these guys had a buiness at the given address. They could have been finish carpenters or cabinet makers.

I am intrigued by the lack of nails.

• Mo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had no luck finding a Goodfellow Dr. near a West St., but I guess there's no such place.

Here's a couple more scans. First is the bottom of the rest of the front. It looks like nails are listed in July and August. After that is the back, and I see nails there too. I also see hangers and 2 wash boards. Perhaps Goodfellow is a surname or part of a business name. It says Receive Payment, then it looks like ???? & Goodfellow, followed by what's probably the name of person who signed it.

The paper is yellow, not white as it looks in the scan. I used a handheld scanner.

• mfrog
    12 years ago

A few things to note,

Lots of streets changed their names in the early 20th century.

Smith & Irwin were architects in Australia, don't know if they could be the same or not.

Also on the top of page on Aug 17 is 5# of nails, also noticed on one of the other pages is spikes, which could be what we know now as framing nails because wire nails didn't come into wide use until the 1900's.

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

It's not Australia, the handwriting is very American and in the 1800s any bill would have been in pounds, shillings and pence (ã-/-/-) as Australia didn't go over to the dollar until 1966.