Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyd_svh

Lead content in this pewter charger? Safe to eat from or not?

bradleyd_svh
9 years ago

I have a pewter charger nearly 12 inches across with a 2 and one quarter inch lip. I am trying to determine its lead content by determining its age. Older pewter tends to have a higher lead content, making it unsafe for eating. So here I am in the comical position of posting an item on an antiques site and hoping that someone will tell me authoritatively that my item IS NOT AN ANTIQUE or, more to the point, give me some means of determining lead content myself. Is there a lead-testing kit someplace?

This charger gives me mixed signals: The design looks recent, and recent pewter (from what I have read) contains little or no lead, but at least one of the stamps on the back certainly does not look recent. Will post a photo of the back next.

Comments (5)

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Two stamps. Clearly, the newer stamp is meant to indicate that the metal is 95 percent tin, which is safe. Even today, copper cookware lined with tin. (Also, I have learned that "Etain" is French for "Pewter.") The other stamp reads "Block Zinn 1791" (or 1794.) But this does not necessarily mean that the item was made in 1794. That could be merely the year that the company was established.

Any insights into when this was made and/or how to determine lead content of the metal would be gratefully received.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Broader view of the back.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Stupid dinner party question here: I don't use chargers but don't they go under the plate that you actually eat on so they can be as toxic as can be and not ruin dinner?

Or are you wanting to just use it as a really big plate (which I totally get)?

I would assume both stamps are accurate; the one with the company logo has a date of something or other in the company's history and they just didn't get that mark on there very good. But I think they were both applied at the same.
    time.

If 95% tin is good enough to eat off of, I wouldn't have a problem with trusting that mark.

• bradleyd_svh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guessed correctly. I DO want to use it as a really big plate. Being metal, it won't shatter to the floor if my cat performs a "gravity check" and gently nudges it from a table or counter-top. (I have a collection of brass and copper drinking vessels for this reason. lol)

Unsure if "%95 Tin" means that the lead content is low enough to be safe for eating. I would like to hear that the lead content is zero, which I understand is true for recent pieces. Thus, I was hoping someone might be able to put a fine point on its age.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

Hardware stores sell lead test kits. They're mostly for use on paint, but they would probably work on the plate.