Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenni_ca

See anything interesting here

jenni_ca
10 years ago

Some stuff I unpacked today. These are some of the things that came from my grandmother. Been packed away in boxes since 1995
Anyone recognize anything?

Comments (9)

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

ALL OF IT IS INTERESTING! I LOVE IT! I. Is any of it marked on bottom , some should be. Need good light & maybe magnifying glass. Grandma had an eye for very nice glass .

• jenni_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! It's just pretty stuff. LOL There really aren't any marks on things. The coffee grinder that is almost hidden on the left does have a info on a brass plaque. It says Peugeot Freres.
    I love love the biscuit jar!
    Guess I'll just have to do some hard core research.
    Besides this she loved French and German clocks. I think I have 12 of those.
    I'm about to the point tho that some of this stuff has to go! I mean how much 'stuff' do I need anyway. I just don't know what to do with it.
    LOL

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

A very nice Majolica ewer - back upper right.

See linked google images - second picture in the second row of a pair such as yours. Well, they're never identical being individually hand decorated and painted. No two pieces of majolica are ever exactly the same. And much of it isn't marked.

I have a "matched" pair of French Majolica ewers and I can spot the slight variances.

Prices on Majolica have dipped from their all time high back when I was actively collecting , but there are collectors who would be anxious for a piece like that- even if the condition isn't quite mint. They're for display - do not use it to serve a beverage from it as the glaze is lead based.

Here is a link that might be useful: Majolica ewers

• jenni_ca
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the images. Here is a better picture of that piece. The only marks on it are a stamped A and the number 1419 on the bottom

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

With that coding I'm thinking Wedgewood (English) possibly as early as the 1870's - or as late as 1919 as the number coding changed to have the last two numbers indicate the year of production. Wedgewood marks are terribly confusing - there's a letter code for years followed by numbers for month of manufacture, individual potter, etc. All subject to change when they ran through the alphabet.

My collection is largely American Majolica - some of the major potteries clearly stamped their wares, but most are unmarked in any way.

It's a thing of beauty - I'd find some nice safe spot to display it.

• teddybear_2009
    10 years ago

Beautiful items , I too love the biscuit barrel. Make sure to do lots of research before selling . All pieces look valuable. I too have a small collection of majolica. I have it displayed openly on top of my kitchen cabinets. Have listed some on etsy along with other collectables with some success.Wonderful treasures, lucky you!

• nan-c21
    10 years ago

If you do decide to sell, it would think it would be wise to ask an appraiser.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the sweet biscuit jar! Don't give that one up, it's a keeper for sure.

• emma
    10 years ago

Jenni, I don't see how anything like could survive so many years. It looks very top heavy for those little legs. Very pretty.