Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver (maybe ?) bracelet... can anyone tell?

Posted by peachydeva (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 21:07

Another old bracelet that I'd like to know more about. The clasp indicates it's silver (that is, the clasp is silver) but the filigree doesn't look like silver to me because the back looks too metallic. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Di

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver (maybe ?) bracelet... can anyone tell?

What do you mean by "too metallic"???
If the clasp is stamped 925, chances are huge the rest is too.
Linda C

o

Try a bit of silver polish on back side edge & see if it gets"silver" It looks like a tarnished silver bracelet.

o

Clasp aside, perhaps the top filigree area itself is plated if the tarnish easily comes off. Because the photos of the bottom of the filigree looks like pewter. Or an armetale like metal (aluminum based). It's pretty!

o

The front looks silver to me, but I'm just not used to seeing silver look the way the back does. Sort of crude and cheesey looking really. It's also pretty light weight too. Di

o

The bracelet is cast....that's why the back looks rough....and perhaps the back was painted to keep any tarnish that accumulated from staining your arm.
Try rubbing the top with silver polish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here