Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Another challenge - what do I have?

DLM2000-GW
14 years ago

Another family piece, no idea where it came from or the age. I'm going to guess my grandmother bought it in her travels but that's a total guess.

Here's one picture and it click links to an album with others. It's metal, non ferrous, heavy so probably brass, maybe bronze?

Any ideas on age, country of origin, intended purpose or anything else you can think of? I have a house full of stuff I know little to nothing about!

Thanks -

Deb

{{gwi:1375230}}

Comments (10)

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry - that link failed - but this should take you to the album

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics

• harebelle
    14 years ago

Lamp base. That's why there's a cork in the bottom-it fills a hole that the wiring stalk would go through. The notch in the rim is where the electric cord would pass through.

• harebelle
    14 years ago

Forgot to suggest age, origin. Age could be 1920s and forward. No clue as to origin, someone with experience in 20th c. bronze (?) objects would be more knowledgeable there.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So you think it was originally intended to be a lamp base and the lamp parts were removed at some point? I suppose that's possible but it would surprise me.

• justlinda
    14 years ago

What does the top look like? Is the inside of the object hollow?

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Champleve cloisonne -- A form of enamel on metal art popular throughout the Orient.

Got to run now, but search for "Champleve Cloisonne" on ebay, and you'll get lots of hits.

Back later...

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's hollow. Top is open but I'd have to get another picture to show you detail.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

It was probably originally made as a vase or urn (hence the open top), then at some point, converted into a lamp base (hence the bottom hole and notch) as has been common for close to 100 years. Champleve cloisonne is a technique where parts of the base metal (commonly bronze) are carved and left bare, with others filled with colorful enamel. I've seen pieces similar to yours reported to be older than the 1920's (mid 1800's) but don't know enough about the designs to be able to say in your case.

I'd make it back into a lamp in a heartbeat. Or sell it on eBay if you're not emotionally attached.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sweeby thank you very much - I've never heard the term Champleve before. Very interesting technique. I googled for champleve lamp and came up with a lot of wonderful pieces for ideas - many seem to have a wooden base added. At the moment I don't need another table lamp and will continue using it as the decorative piece it is but would wire it in the future for the right space.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

Another lovely and fascinating piece! I learned something new here too ;) Deb, if that is indeed your Gram's, she had great taste!