Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justlinda_gw

A Question re British Pseudo-marks

justlinda
12 years ago

I've heard that the use of a crown in a cartouche on British silverplate was banned around 1897.

Anyone have knowledge about this or know where I can look up this info on pseudo British silverplate cartouche hallmarks? Phew, that was a mouth full.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Not really sure what you are asking. Pseudo hallmarks are what is used to refer to American marks attempting to emulate British hall marks. Sheffield (England) used a crown in their mark well into the 20th century.
    There may be others, but that's what I know.
    The web site I recommended before 925-100.com has lots and lots of info!
    Linda C

• justlinda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some silverplate I have is by Harrison Bros. & Howson, made in Britain: H B & H, this is the cartouche on the pieces. Would the US have put this mark on, or was it put on in Sheffield?

Maybe I'm totally out in left field with this, but someone told me that the use of a 'crown' was banned about 1897. I'm wondering if that only applies to sterling and the 'crown' in this silverplate/electroplate simply refers to Sheffield. Oh so much to learn....grumble, grumble :)

{{gwi:1375223}}

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

The US would not have put anything on it & I've never heard of a ban on crowns but that doesn't mean much, LOL. Marks on silverplate are just trademarks & have no regulated meaning that I know of - hallmarks on sterling are a totally different animal.

I have an excellent book on English plate marks but offhand I don't remember the title & I'm at work now. I'll try to remember to check when I get home & let you know.

• lindac
    12 years ago

The link below tells all I know of the subject....pretty much! LOL!
    As far as I know the use of the crown was not banned for plated ware....ever. The marks would have been stamped when the silver was made.
    Your pieces are not old sheffield plate but electroplate. And, it seems to me I read that H B and H was sold to someone else in 1925...I think!! So your pieces are older than that.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: H B and H