Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Information about this vanity and dresser please

Posted by lucas_tx (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 19:27

Hello,

I have not checked the backs of these yet for marks, I can do that next time I can coerce someone into helping me move them but I'm really just interested in people's general perception of age, wood, etc.

I've had them for probably 20 years or more and they were originally from my grandparents, but I don't have any history beyond that.

My guess is they are mahogany but I could certainly be wrong, so any info appreciated.

What type of finish would have been used? The vanity has some damage to the veneer due to a roof leak and I'd like to try to get it looking better.

There is a vanity and mirror and a tall dresser.

Vanity

Vanity photo IMG_0599_zpsb2885efe.jpg

Vanity drawers photo IMG_0600_zpsc98dfa2c.jpg

Dresser

Dresser photo IMG_0597_zps2ab42324.jpg

Side of dresser photo IMG_0596_zps7f87d132.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Information about this vanity and dresser please

Depression Era 1930's

o

Absolutely beautiful! I've never seen a dresser quite like it, but the vanity 'style' is a bit more 'common', although with the parquetry, something i've not seen before either. I also think 30's or 40's. While the handles are Federal style, I wouldn't consider the furniture itself necessarily so.

o

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Any one care to venture what the finish might be? Best way to take care of it?

o

There's definitely some Tiger Maple on the drawer fronts, but I'm not sure about the sides and some of the other areas. Maybe Honey Maple.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger Maple

o

Oh thanks so much!

o

Hi,
that's satinwood, not tiger maple. I'll lay odds the finish is lacquer.
Casey

o

sombreuil, have never seen or heard of satinwood, and the first thing that came to my mind was the Tiger Maple? How can you be so sure? They look so similar, but is there something distinctive about the satinwood? Maybe the period of the piece? Thanks for the education. ;o)

o

Look at some photos courtesy of Google Images.
The waterfall style was often rendered in satinwood veneer, and others. This set, not exactly waterfall style, is from the same era and probably same factories.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: satinwood+waterfall+deco

o

Thanks. I appreciate the responses. Any thoughts on the wood type on the wardrobe in the other thread?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wardrobe thread

This post was edited by lucas_tx on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 18:35

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here