Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another vintage bracelet - Italian?

Posted by peachydeva (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 2, 10 at 19:20

Here is another bracelet with hand painted glass buttons pasted into metal links.

This is not a finely crafted piece; it is very light weight and the painted buttons are not centered. I'm thinking maybe a souvenir bracelet? I think the one drawing looks like Ponte Vecchio bridge in Florence, Italy. Not sure about the dark stain on the metal either.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Di

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another vintage bracelet - Italian?

I'm thinking the shiny gold colored closures look "added-on". With the holes it looks like they may be from a necklace or something with strands.

o

Is that painting on those buttons reverse painting on glass?
The metal is "carp" but the glass looks kind of nice to me....

o

Looks similar to some bracelets from Mexico, they sometimes make do with what they have. Look carefully on the end pieces where it fastens together as may be some kind of mark. What do backs of glass part look like, is glass glued in from front?

o

LindaC... the painting appears to be on the surface and painted over with something clear. What is "carp" metal? It does not attract a magnet.

Sunnyca... There are no markings on the clasp and I can't see the backs of the glass because the base is all metal with the button just glued to the metal from the front.

Does the dark stain on the metal have any significance? It looks intentional.

thanks, Di

o

"carp" metal is forum-ese for cr@p...LOL!
I am sure the dark stain on the metal is just an attempt at an "antique" look.

o

LOL! love that... it is definitely crappy metal, very light weight. So I guess what I have here is a cheap, rather old souvenir bracelet of about zero value in terms of its artistry, material, or history. Would you agree?

o

... but some nice buttons! ;-)

o

Thanks! :) I'll be keeping this silly old thing I think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here