Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Glass Candle Cups

Posted by dlm2000 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 18:47

I know that's not the proper term - but not sure what to call these - faux drip catchers? LOL!

My parents bought this fixture in 1960, and I have no reason to believe it's any older than that, so antique, it is not. Please ignore the paper clips - this was in mid refurbishing.
Photobucket

The glass cups are just for show and obviously not even 'make-believe' useful since they wouldn't catch the drips of real candles anyway.

These are the original cups, 1" in height 1-11/16 across although the arms holding them in the fixture can be adjusted a bit to accommodate something slightly different. There is a slight bump on the bottom - can get a better pic if that helps.
Photobucket

Two were broken many years ago and replaced with these - blech
Photobucket

Any ideas where I'd start to look for something like this? Or what I'd call them when asking about them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Glass Candle Cups

They look a little like mise en place prep bowls, but maybe too small. Fingerbowls?

Whatever the real term is, I don't think you'll find any the right size and will have to be creative, but I'm totally clueless here so don't take my word for it. Good luck!

o

I think IKEA carries small prep bowls that are closer to the style of the original.

I don't know how much of a lip those have though to be able to hold in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Bowls

o

In truth, I have never seen a fixture, old or new with those little cups....

o

I swear dlm, you have the coolest stuff in your family! ;)

o

Prep bowls are way too big but the look is pretty close.

moonshadow - that's very sweet! Yes, I am lucky that a lot of cool family things have come my way - there's more to share and of course I have more questions to ask! But I'm learning a lot and gaining an appreciation of what the items are, not just the sentiment.

I know nothing about glass - how would I know how these are made? Is it possible they are blown? Do you think it would be possible to find someone to make them?

o

I think they are pressed.....

o

I've done a little searching, I suspect they are called what you called them: candle cups. The bottom paragraph here describes chandelier parts.
I'm having trouble getting this site to work for me, but I'm only offering it as an example of 'candle cups' anyway, so guess if you can view first page you'll see examples and sizes (What they have appears to be all metal.)
I found some crystal and cut glass, but they were way too big (4"). Maybe I can try again later, my browser is acting kind of spastic right now.

o

thanks for those links, moonshadow. You got me thinking and I remembered a shop nearby that is a good resource, don't know why I didn't think of them before - DUH! They'll certainly know where to send me if they don't have access to what I need. My parents did business there when I was a kid, I've bought from them and my brother uses them on occasion in clock restoration so I should have thought of it earlier - mentalpause is such an indignity ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bellows

o

Oh, cool store! There is one like that near my mom but it's strictly new lighting, no antiques. (Don't know how they stay in business, but they've been there so long they do.)

mentalpause is such an indignity ;-)
Kindred spirit here, totally get it.
Worst is mid-sentence with someone and the brain just goes blank followed by that long awkward pause whilst trying to regroup. Only nothing comes to mind. I get some pretty weird looks sometimes when that happens. Mostly from the male gender. ;)

o

Neat store!! How great to help people restore their things so they look like originals. Love their hinges!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here