Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debcam_gw

Rare? Terra Cotta Hummel 'black' baby ashtray

Debcam
12 years ago

I have an ashtray with a 1950 Hummel Bee Hallmark on the bottom. There is a small chip on the rim and it appears to be made of terra cotta. The subject matter is a "black" baby sitting in the middle of the ashtray. A relative was in Germany in the 1950's. I have searched all the Hummel books I can find and cannot find an ashtray like mine listed anywhere! Can anyone help?

Comments (13)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Which Bee? there were a lot of Gobel things that were not Hummels. And the "bee in the V" varied a lot over the years.

• Debcam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am trying to post pix - and I am very computer savvy - but this is really getting the best of me.... The pix are on photobucket: http://s1070.photobucket.com/albums/u490/DebCam2/

• Debcam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:1375045}}

{{gwi:1375046}}

• lindac
    12 years ago

That's not a Goebel mark. No idea what you have......but it's veerrry interesting!!
    Maybe instead of searching through Hummel/Goebel....look at black collectables....negro memorbilia....very hot items right now!!

• Debcam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm confused - isn't it a Hummel mark?? I took it to local antiques dealers - no one can find it anywhere. I have tried the black americana etc - and no luck! Did you notice the chip on the rim edge - above and front of the head - it looks like terracotta.
    Thankyou for the quick response!

• justlinda
    12 years ago

Can you decipher the black letters around the foot and are there any more impressed words/letters like the numbers near the black lettering?

• lindac
    12 years ago

It sure looks like the 1950 Goebel bee.....but....there is no country of origin....just some numbers....??
    My brain says that Goebel was a German porcelain maker....this piece appears to be fainace, or majolica....but I also know ( the hard way!!) that Lenox porcelain has a terra cotta colored body, some times.
    Not sure what you have. Don't believe it's Goebel, certainly not Hummel...very probably American. Goebel didn't make that sort of stuff.....that was
    American...
    Certainly worth researching!!

• Debcam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No - I cannot make out any of the microscopic black numbers or letters - but there appears to be RF 109/8 _but I am not definite about the RF and the 8 - perhaps the 8 is a B....... Are you surmising that it was an american piece with a "fake" hummel hallmark? My relative was in the service in Germany and Japan in the late 1950's. It's been in the family since the early 60's.

• mfrog
    12 years ago

Goebel/Hummel made a number of "negro" lines, there are a few items if you google images. I've not seen the ashtray before, but I have had other items in this line. I've never had a problem selling them. I believe most of them are from the 30's to 60's.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    12 years ago

This page should help you date your piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummel marks

• lindac
    12 years ago

I don't know....the Hummel bee would have had other marks as well...mold number and country of origin at least. and I find nothing online about a "negro line" in Gobel figurines.
    It doesn't have the "hummel look"...or rather the gobel look as we know it's not I.M. Hummel.
    I don't know what you have....but I only know what you don't have. However whatever it is, it's likely a hot collectors' item and worth researching!

• mfrog
    12 years ago

Goebel made many different lines, not just the Hummel line. Worthpoint has a number of the "negro" figures on their site & I have personally sold a number of them. Just because there isn't a lot of information about them on the internet doesn't mean they don't exist.
    Pieces were not required to have a country of origin if they weren't imported, as the OP indicated it was probably bought in Germany. Here in Canada we see alot of english china that has no country of origin because they were brought over with the rest of the household goods.

Here is a link that might be useful: goebel hummel girl

• Debcam
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the input - I am looking to sell it - but really want to establish what it is and what it's worth. I live next door to the antiques capital of the world - Woodbury, Connecticut and still couldn't get anyone to identify it - they couldn't find it. I also read that Hummel did terracotta pieces that there are no existing pictures of - so I am still working on the assumption that it is a rare, terracotta Hummel until I can prove otherwise. Can anyone point me in a direction - a contact person, authority at Hummel (email address, mailing address?) Local expert in my region? Thankyou all!