Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

What do you think of these chairs?

rjinga
14 years ago

Has anyone ever seen a chair like this, albeit not completely out there, they really are quite unique. seller states that her parents had them in their drug store, 60 years ago, in some display.

Comments (11)

• lindac
    14 years ago

I have never seen chairs just like that...but I suspect they are the traditional ice cream chairs "gone modern"...like modern in 1935 or so!
    Do you own them? If not and they are for sale/ Why not?
    I am picturing them with the rust and lod paint blasted off, repainted in white with the leaves in a leaf green and a great tropical flowered cushion.
    They are wonderful!!
    Linda C

• justlinda
    14 years ago

Yup, ice cream/soda parlour chairs is my guess.

And I've heard that in some circles, the "rust" look is in, and some people even go so far as to rush the rusting process in order to achieve "the" look.

Not my taste though, so I would have to agree with Linda C.

• lindac
    14 years ago

The "rust look" may be in....but it will cause the eventual demise of the chair. If you like something, stop the progression of the rust!
    Linda C

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Wish they were mine!!!!!!!!!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to get them, they are just too unique to pass up, she's asking $15 each for them. Not sure how much room is there to negotiate a lower price, but she is also the one who has the great old tables, one unfortunately with the cracked marble. I have not looked into what it might cost to repair it, but she is giving me two other pieces of the same marble from the coffee table that had 2 slabs on the top. the coffee table is no more, all 4 pieces for $65 and 2 additional pieces of marble. I think that's pretty good. I will of course (it's just in my nature) attempt to get a better deal. It will be LOTS of fun trying to redo these chairs...

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

Those are great! I'd have them painted at an auto=paint place or else powder-coated. They'd appeal to a wide variety of tastes--Asian, tropical, MCM.

• peachydeva
    14 years ago

Those chairs are awesome! Wish I owned them. Great find rjinga!

• jemdandy
    14 years ago

Reminds me of patio furniture.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I love those!

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got em...and the one that looks all rusty, is just painted a rusty red color, there is really very little rust on them except for at the base of the legs. The original owner of them was this woman's father, who had then in a "pharmacy" display that was part of a jewelry ad, she described some kind of round carousel type jewlry case that you could rotate around, (not the modern day upright ones that spin around from the top) they were painted white and had pink seat cushions.

Will be interesting to come up with a look for them. I'll keep ya posted. They wont be to the top of my priority list for awhile I'm afraid, I have about 5 dressers/chest fo drawers ahead of them, UGH

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I'd make them a priority. Those chairs are something people don't see every day, and I think, just like the posters on the Decorating forum, you could get $$$ for them.