Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelone_gw

Rembrandt Lamp Co.

chelone
16 years ago

I would like to know more about this Chicago based company. I have tried Googling it, but have yet to come up with anything about the history of the company... just a bunch of e-Bay ads that aren't what I'm interested in.

What am I doing wrong in my search? I dropped off model #9043 to have it rewired and would love to know more about it, maybe see what sort of shade it originally had.

Can you guys help me out with this? I'm really frustrated with my own ineptitude and can't seem to get out of the "loop" I'm in.

Comments (77)

• C. Markoff
    3 years ago

Lastly, an interesting sidebar about my grandfather's nephew Morris Markoff. He had a family in Bialystock, Poland who planned to join him in the US. Alas the world had other plans, Sept. 1939.

In the 1970s, Morris' son Jay Markoff and daughter Selene Bruk (as well as Selene's husband) were interviewed among many other survivors.

• C. Markoff
    3 years ago

@Dangerously Pink @petercohen @cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA) @Maryann Kirk @Arexa Radrian @Susan Ponciroli @wannabeshakefree_verizon_net -- just an FYI that I added some things for the Rembrandt-interested. Scroll up, enjoy!

• petercohen
    3 years ago

Fantastic! Thanks for posting this.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just fascinating! Thank you. I am glad this thread resurfaced. It is always startling and sad to read of someone's relatives who suffered through the Holocaust.

I especially liked the clipping about the fire and the traffic being "snarled." Big news.

• C. Markoff
    3 years ago

(Not sure if it's obvious, but the posting has links to the Holocaust interviews.)

• C. Markoff
    3 years ago

This just in -- an article about my grandmother's youngest brother, my (great) Uncle Ben, who also ran Rembrandt at one time. His youngest daughter Susan had this to say:

"Rembrandt grew and moved from Erie Street to a more industrial part of the city, the old Salerno Cookie Factory at 4500 W. Division where the company grew in its new space. Then, in the late 1960's, Scott & Fetzer (who owned Kirby Vacuum Cleaners) bought Rembrandt lamps and my Dad retired." I'm attaching an article -- hope it sticks.

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

I have an acquaintance that owns 52 Rembrandt floor lights and over 30 table lights and shades. He has collected Rembrandt smoking stands, advertisement pieces, and an electric wall clock. He’s been looking for some history of the company.

• C. Markoff
    2 years ago

He'll find it right here! Say, where does your acquaintance live? My cousin was looking for some torchiere globes.

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We live in North Central West Virginia. I should also note, his collection is the early pieces of Rembrandt along with wire screen shades.

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

Is there another way that we can communicate besides this thread ? My acquaintance just celebrated his 80th birthday today and has some questions and possibly some information you might be interested in.

• C. Markoff
    2 years ago

Sure. Is your email your Houzz nickname what I see above + gmail or?

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

swhitehair@comcast.net

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

My email is swhitehair@comcast.net

I‘lol be looking forward to your response.

• Pam Ison
    2 years ago

I just read every post on this feed. So interesting. Thank you! i acquired a Rembrandt floor lamp along when a house full of antiques when I purchased an older home in Cheviot Ohio with all of the contents left in it. Have been trying to research it for some time. The history here is amazing. C. Markoff. Do you have any history on what the numbers mean on the bottom of the lamps?

I’m curious to know the age. The people that lived in this house prior to me also Had a rocking chair from 1926.

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

• C. Markoff
    2 years ago

I'm so sorry I DON'T know about those numbers. I will ask my cousin and brother if they might have a clue (unique piece/serial number?). What fun for you to inherit all of the fixings.

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

I just shared a sample of a private collection of Rembrandt.

• petercohen
    2 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I think those are actually the first pics I’ve seen of the lamps.

• C. Markoff
    2 years ago

Those are fancy! I have a couple and my sister has a couple as well. Will eventually post more pix. (Gosh I LOVE that clock, so cool!)

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

Those pictures do not really even scratch the surface. He’s wanting to put a book together soon of his collection and was looking for as much information as he could find.

• Pam Ison
    2 years ago

c. Markhoff. That newspaper article was found at the house I purchased. It is a picture of the Lincoln Library at the time in The Whitehouse. She was stating she had That she had that same rocking Chair. Which I now have. And yes So much fun now! i Was young and dumb when I got the house and didn’t realize then what a find it was. I still have many items but lost track of just as much. we had a rookwood fireplace there that was amazing so fun researching it all now that I have the time. Please let me know if you. Find anything out about the numbers. Thanks so much !!

• C. Markoff
    2 years ago

Enjoy, enjoy. Check w/a patent office re the numbers? @swhitehair43 -- I think I missed something. Who is putting a book together? (I suggest eBlurb/Booksmart if that person needs a template.)

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

My friend is wanting to put a book together of his Rembrandt collection. He is also looking for any reference materials that may be floating around out there. He has possibly the largest private collection in existence. He will, however, require assistance in this venture as he is elderly.

• Paul Diebold
    2 years ago

My father was a sales rep for Rembrandt Lamps. I have vague recollections that there was a financial issue or filing for bankruptcy, something about them not being able to pay some of his commissions or something. I see someone posted something about the firm moving to Cleveland in 1977. The non-payment incident or whatever it was happened sometime around 1973 or so, not surprising since there was a large recession in 73 due to the oil embargo. Anyone know about the bankruptcy I'm recalling. This is only to settle a family discussion - all parties concerned have long since passed away.

• C. Markoff
    2 years ago

Off the hook/not on my family's watch! Per above, my Great Uncle Ben sold the co. and retired in the late 60s. (And died in 1970.)

• C. Markoff
    2 years ago

The thread started 13 years ago and came up in a search more recently. Hence the more recent posts.

• jmartin811
    2 years ago

Hello! came across this feed when looking for information regarding a recent auction purchase of a Rembrandt Lamp! So interesting! Does anyone have any idea what a lamp of this size would have been manifactured for? Seems too large for everyday home use. Thanks!

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Jmartin if you posted a picture it does not show.

• Cheryl Aronson
    2 years ago

I have a pair of Rembrandt lamps (model 9947) I would love to restore or find somebody who can.

• Caitlin Clark
    2 years ago

found this lamp at my great grandparents house, it was my great great grandfathers lamp. we know nothing about this lamp and just want to see if it is a rambrandt lamp or not and if anyone knows anything about it. there is no numbers on the lamp itself but there are numbers on the lamp shade

• Caitlin Clark
    2 years ago

hello my name is caitlin and i just got this lamp from my great great grandfather and i dont know anything about it. I was wondering if it is a rambrandt lamp or if anyone knows anything about it. there are no numbers or badges on it but there is an outline that looks like a badge/plaque used to be there. there are numbers on the lamp shade just not the lamp itself

• C. Markoff
    2 years ago

My brother and sister-in-law thought it might be a Marbro lamp (from the company my grandfather’s nephews started). Check internet to see how you can verify

• Joyce Houmes
    2 years ago

Does anyone have a source for determining the value of this lamp. R8037, lamp and shade are both singed. Thank you.

• DANA R
    2 years ago

I'm so excited to find you all here. I purchased a Rembrandt lamp at my church flea market. I love it but did not have a shade. Nothing I put on it seemed correct. Now I see that those shades were absolutely beautiful and with design. Ill have to keep an eye out now I know what to look for. Glad this popped up from years ago!!

• DANA R
    2 years ago

Hey Joyce. If you still here, how long is your lamp shade?

Thanks

• swhitehair43
    2 years ago

We will soon have a book for sale of a private collection of Rembrandt lamps, advertisments, and shades. My email is listed earlier in this thread.

• C. Markoff
    2 years ago

Be sure to send a link when you do!

• HU-870176896
    2 years ago

• Linda B
    9 months ago

What happened to Rembrandt Lamp co?

• Brenna Meyer
    7 months ago

Great thread! Thank you to all who contributed info. I just got a Rembrandt floor lamp (R9064) and was looking for more info on it. The shade is missing, but it does have the finial to attach it. And, I LOVE the slotted reflector bowl that can be opened or closed!!!

• Brenna Meyer
    7 months ago

Thank you to all who contributed info to this thread - very interesting! I recently got a floor lamp (R9064) and have been looking for info on it. It's base is beautiful square green marble/onyx (?) And I LOVE the slotted reflector bowl that can be open or closed to adjust light level! I don't have the original shade but do have the finial (also green marble/onyx) to attach it. Any info on what type of shade was original to it would be helpful. Thanks again for the history!!!

• PRO
    MillerCo
    2 months ago

• PRO
    MillerCo
    2 months ago

• PRO
    MillerCo
    2 months ago

• PRO
    MillerCo
    2 months ago

• PRO
    MillerCo
    2 months ago

Thanks for the history C Markoff! My grandmother Alfrie Dixon was the inventor of the metal lampshade sold by Remington. I know my mother told me about her moving to Chicago to start up a lampshade factory and how people were lined up around several city blocks for jobs. It would have been early 30s. I'm thinking that would have been for Rembrandt as her metal shades were featured on their lamps. I can place her there in 1933 as a relative was hired and died of pneumonia in Chicago that year. My mom, Esther Dixon Siebenmark, went to the art Institute, worked at the Merchandise Mart and they lived at the Allerton I believe. Anyway I was able to buy a couple of Rembrandt metal shades this year and one of them has my grandmother's patent number engraved on it. I am saving all your news articles for my scrapbook. Thank you again.