Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

At the risk of getting laughed at...

rjinga
14 years ago

Can you "fix" a crack in marble? I have found some kinda cool end tables, the have a french provincial feel to them and they are priced very low ($30 for the set). which if I could fix the cracked one, would sell better as a set.

Is it possible? and if so, how would I go about it.

I'm working on getting a pic of the one with the crack. and will post as a follow up.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Fori
    14 years ago

I can only answer the first half of your question because I've spent too much time on the kitchen forum over the years--yep, it can be repaired and can possibly look darn good.

The method will depend on all kinds of factors, and if you can get the stone out to work on it, it would probably be easier...anyway, the flooring, kitchen, or maybe even stone forum might be able to get you in the right direction.

I like that table!

• lindac
    14 years ago

But.....the cost may be more than the table could be worth....even repaired.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

You could replace it for less than what it would cost to fix it. Or just leave it.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Clearly not the proper way to "fix" it, but could it simply be glued together with epoxy or something and maybe a sponge techique to match the colors just along the crack line and a poly on top? would that be completely obvious that it was a hack job to attempt to fix it?

• lindac
    14 years ago

I think it would call those tables "Leaverites"...as in leave her right there..
    Buy the wire chairs, leave the tables....the work to repair won't be worth what you can get...
    Sand blast the chairs and get a good coat of paint and classy flashy cushions and ask $150 each.
    Forget those tables.
    Or buy them, remove the marble and put it into frames and call it cheese serving boards....sell them with a knife and some paper grape leaves.

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The reason that I will probably get them is that I could redo the one, sell it and then replace the top of the other with??? something else. just not sell them at the same time. I like your price idea for the leaf chairs, you really think they would be worth that much?

• lindac
    14 years ago

Yes....if redone right....not slap a coat of Rustoleum on them and the upholstery redone professionally with a glitzy tropical print....worth every penny of $300 for the pair.

• karinl
    14 years ago

I could work up a head of steam over those tables, I think, though I'm not sure how much I would pay for them.

As for fixing, find out the "right" way to do it and take a stab at it... it has to look better than it does cracked, that's the only criterion.

KarinL

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

KarinL, please explain what you mean "I could work up a head of steam over those tables"

Well, I picked up both of these tables tonight (and the leaf chairs) and the crack is really not horrible, I mean it's a crack of course. The worst part is actually at the edge where there's some material missing. The crack itself appears to be a hairline looking crack. As to their finish, I think that these tables, might not need more than an application of RAF, they do not appear scratched or damaged in any way. Just dusty. That is not to say that I would not consider painting them at some point. BUT I think I would take the one in good condition, RAF it, put it in one of my booths and if it doesn't sell then consider taking it out and painting it after that. The one with the damaged marble, I'll take better pics of it and ask for your opinions again.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

How big is the marble square?

• rjinga
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The square is 19 3/4 x 19 3/4. Also on the back of the marble it says made in portugal, FWIW

here are some additional photos of the crack. IRL (looking down on the table, while it was on the ground) the crack is much less obvious. here it stands out pretty good.

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

I have a pair of these end tables in my basement from a set of furniture my folks bought in the mid 50's. Touted as "Country French". Mine have a pecan finish and fancy leather/leatherette inserts as opposed to the marble. Even though not my style (hence their relegation to the basement)they look as good today as they probably did in the showroom. Leather might be an option to explore in your restorations instead of attempting to fix marble.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Check out the BIG tiles in Lowe's, Home Depot, or Menard's. I want to say they might be 20x20 or 24x24. But check anyway. Might work.