Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual Jenny Lind Bed

Posted by nitaann (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 17:25

I bought this full size Jenny Lind bed at an antique shop for $100. I had never seen a headboard like this on any other Jenny Lind/spool type bed before. The headboard is 55" tall and the footboard is 40 1/2" tall. I have no idea how old it is but I had to have it once I saw it. I had been looking for a full size one for ages. Has anyone else seen a bed similar to this one? Would love more info about it. Below are pics of the bed - which is currently set up in my dining room while I clean it. Will be my youngest daughters bed once we get a mattress for it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NitaAnnDotson/20110131Furniture?authkey=Gv1sRgCKPS9cH6lv-YRQ#

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual Jenny Lind Bed

Great bed! I also had never seen a head board like that....but I guess now I have! I'd pay $100 for it in a blink!
About all I can say is get some of that awful shiny varnish/shellac/lacquer off if it!...I would wipe it down with a mix of lacquer thinner and shellac thinner....like 3/4 shellac thinner and 1/4 lacquer thinner.

o

Manufacturers had a tendency to stick details that were popular onto their older pieces to spiff them up for the current fashions.

You have the Jenny Lind spindles married to piercings and scallops of the Gothic Revival.

o

The bed really isn't that shiny in person. I think it was the flash that made it look like that. I'm glad to get a little info on the style. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here