Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying My Japanese Tea Set

Posted by pinky_swear (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 08 at 17:23

Hello, I have had this tea set since I was 17. I got it at an antique store in Michigan. The owner told me it was from Japan sometime during WW2. I've looked in several places on the internet for some idea of where it originated and a hint at what it might be worth. Maybe someone here can help me. I posted pictures of it here ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinky-swear/ )because I don't know how to include pictures of it in the post.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying My Japanese Tea Set

I believe it's pre WWII...it's a mark known as Nippon...which really means Japan...but that mark is one of the Nippon marks.
The lithophane is very nice....and I believe was made a lot for export....for gift sets.
Sorry I can't put a name to the pattern nor tell you it's worth.
Do some research on Nippon lithophane teasets....there's a lot out there.
Linda c

o

Your moriage dragonware set is beautiful. I had the identical set in my shop more than ten years ago. I can tell you what I sold it for then, I should think it has only gone up in value. For the teapot, sugar, and creamer, 250.00 and for the lithophane cups and saucers, 37.00 each. The black and gray dragonware is more in abundance than these colors. You may be able to find it on ebay.

o

I have the EXACT same tea set. In fact, I have two of them as I just inherited my mother's set. They were not exported, she bought them when we lived in Japan and it was post WWII in the late fifties.

o
Clarifying a little

I didn't want to give the impression these sets were typical of those one would find in a local pottery/china store in Japan. I have some sets like that as well and those I use, not stick away in my china cupboard, for fear of breaking. These more (gaudy) examples were meant for the foreign trade, but not necessarily as export items. Those were typical of sets one might buy at a military ships store in Japan in the occupation era. IOW an era when Japan was open to many foreigners both as occupation forces and those involved in commerce as it was rebuilding post war.

o

I'm confused by the mark....you saying they were not made for export, I guess would allow them to carry a mark of Japanese characters, but I thought the factories making products during the occupation were required to carry the mark Made in Occupied Japan., even if not specifically made for export.
Could it be that your mother bought something that had been made much earlier?
Linda C

o

No, they were not made much earlier. She bought three pristine brand new sets. Late fifties is not considered occupation era, either. I just said it was typical of the ware made in the occupation era.

Designs like this were produced to be sold primarily to foreigners IN Japan as souvenirs, as opposed to being exported. My guess would be if one sees a set like this in a shop or on the inet, they can presume it was brought back to America or sent back to America from Japan by a serviceman or his family, long enough AFTER WWII that families were allowed to join their serviceman husbands. Bases were being phased out after the occupation and all but the more major military bases were defunct by 1958......so mid-fifties would be the heyday for this sort of porcelain.

o
Added Thought

It just hit me that I am old enough to remember the manufacturing era of an item listed on an antique forum. That's sobering. LOLOL

o

Here's one of your photos:

o

If you don't mind...I'd like to add my set in hoping someone can help to identify. My father brought this back from Japan during the Korean War. Thanks, J

o

But what does the bottom look like?
You should start a whole new thread....as this thread was begun for the Original Poster's set....and all subsequent replies will be emailed to her.
Sorry....can tell much about your set without seeing the marks on the bottom.
Linda C

o

Only thing on the bottom was Made in Japan and a number.

o

But a picture of the mark....the color, the way it's printed will all tell us something.
Linda C

o

This is the only thing on the bottom of the pieces. Some numbers are different.

o

HI everyone, my mother has an antique japanese tea set as well, ( I will post pics soon) the markings on the bottom say
" made in occupied Japan" I thought the "occupied" part was really weird anyone know anything about that?

o

Things marked made in Occupied Japan were made during the period that the US occupied Japan immediately following WW II and ending in 1952 I believe. A period of about 7 years.
Linda C

o

hi i have japenese cups saucer,plates ,sugar bowl jug,cups have marking n a on bottom aslso lithopain inside cup,how much are they worth

o

I also have what I assume is an early 1950's lithophane tea set my uncle brought back after the Korean war. I think a complete set might sell for $150 or so on average but it's hard to say for sure. I guess it depends on what you have.

o

WOW...it is beautiful. I just inherited a set that my great aunt brought back from japan where she was a missionary in Osaka. She left Japan twice...once after the burning of Tokyo and again after D-day. I have many pieces that she had, and I would love to get prices on them for insurance.

o

Is there a catalog online that shows the various patterns of Japanese Tea sets made in and around WWII? I have 4 sets. (I'm not sure how I can put a picture on this email).

o

I have some japanese tea dishes 3 plates, milk, tea, and sugar dish. There is a note saying they were purchased in New York in 1929. only one dish has a faded stamp. could you help me to identify their value?

o

Hi i have a my lady tea pot set. 6cups and saucers. Pot milk jug and sugar pot. All in excellent condition. Made in japan on bottom and 22carat gold. I will attach a photo.. Does anyone know its value pls. It was my great nanas.

o

Has anyone had any luck with this set?? Hoping someone can give me some info on it.

o

I've inherited pieces that don't seem to go together, I have Hand painted Kotobuki Kyoto Japan for a tea pot, creamer, sugar, and trays. The cups are very thin with geisha girls in the bottom of the cups. The patterns are those of different flowers. Just looking for possible value and a little bit of history behind the pieces if possible.

o

ineed help identifying and its value. please

o

katork, try this link, you have the mark in front of you. Also, it is a Wisteria set.

Cheri

o

G'Day from Aus!
I would like to join in this conversation, if I may, even if it is a little late! I have just unpacked my precious china after it being in storage for years.
I have a lovely 19 piece black, grey and white Lithographic Moriage Dragonware tea set, I am not sure what period mine comes from as the tea pot has one marking and the rest have another!
I have spent the best part of the day trying to locate a website which shows my marking, which did include gotheborg.com, unfortunately it does not appear anywhere!
The rest of the set have what looks to be a handwritten red 'Foreign' in capital letters which is also not to be found!
I figured they are all post war, I read somewhere when I bought it that a red mark was for occupied and post war and green was for pre WW2, is that correct??
I have identified the Geisha from the lithophane.org site which is an EXCELLENT site for learning about lithographs as well as chasing which Geisha you have, I did not realize there was more than one!
So mine is quite a poor quality 'Common Geisha' lithograph but the quality of the external slip work is excellent so it kinda makes up for it, I guess you can't expect to be able to afford total perfection!!
I love it and I guess that is what matters! I will be looking to buy more but for now this has pride of place in my home!

o

The tea pot (16cm/6 1/2") tall.

o

The coffee pot (19.5cm/ 1/2") tall.

o

The fine detail, it flows around most of the cup.

o

The fine detail, it flows around most of the cup.

o

This is the mark on the tea pot, the word is Manna with a long flourish at the end which almost looks like a long tailed 'Y', it attaches to the tip of the lantern below to look like smoke. The word China is inside an icon of a magic lantern and underneath is written "Made in Japan".
I have searched ALL day and I have only come up with one comment on a forum which stated that Manna was a Japanese company but other than that nothing is to be found!!!

o

The cup is 5.5cm or 2 1/8".

o

This is the Cream jug, 7.75cm/3 1/8" from the lip to table.

o

This is the Sugar bowl, 11cm/4 1/4 tall.

o

The last of the set is the saucer, 12cm/4 3/4'' across.

o

This is the mark for the Saki set, there is nothing even similar so I am left confused!

o

And, the very last picture for the night as it has just hit 3.30AM here in Aus!!! This is the Lithograph of the "Private Geisha", this one is by far a better quality than in my Dragonware!

o

This is my whistling Lithographic Moriage Dragonware Saki set that my father brought back after serving in the British Occupational Forces after WW2.
It has a set of six cups, all with a good quality 'Common Geisha' lithograph.
Can anyone tell me where I can learn more about it's history please?

o

The bottle whistles as liquid is poured out.

o

Once again I have managed to get a mark that is not identified on-line. Obviously it has been hand-painted and I guess not all signatures were recorded.

o

This time I have a good quality 'Common Geisha'.

o

I just found a very similar set on Ebay which only has 4 cups and the pouring funnel of the Ebay one was black whereas mine is blue. Does this make a great difference when trying to identify the pieces? The Ebay one is for sale for US$130 + US$22 postage or AU$140 + AU$23 postage.
Mind you mine will not be up for sale during my life-time as I have been loving this set since early childhood (1960's) and it held a very special connection with my father and his time cleaning up war-torn Japan after the bomb. I used to sit on his lap and listen to his stories about the wonderful Japanese family that billeted him of which he had very fond memories. Precious memories can not be valued with the almighty $!!

o

Hello to all. I am new to this but I as well inherited a tea set from my mother years ago and believe when she gave it to me said it belonged to my grandmother!? But not really positive about that. I was born in 1954, so if my memory is correct the tea set would be pre WWII. How or where do I find the date and value . Thanks

o

My father inherited a complete tea set of 6. The cups have the gisha girl in the bottom. His uncle bought it in Japan in around 1940. The only thing on the bottom is what I would call a symbol. It does not have made in Japan or occupied Japan. I can email pictures, but can not figure out how to post them from my phone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here