Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinky_swear

Help Identifying My Japanese Tea Set

pinky_swear
16 years ago

Hello, I have had this tea set since I was 17. I got it at an antique store in Michigan. The owner told me it was from Japan sometime during WW2. I've looked in several places on the internet for some idea of where it originated and a hint at what it might be worth. Maybe someone here can help me. I posted pictures of it here ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinky-swear/ )because I don't know how to include pictures of it in the post.

Thanks!

Comments (97)

• LJean Jean
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I also need help identifying this tea set. I do know it is a 1940 piece?
    sorry I am learning to add pictures.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Can't identify a thing without a picture.

• Anastasia Panagopoulou
    8 years ago

Please can anyone indentify my excellent tea dragon Japanese set and the emblem ? Thanks you!

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Moriage Dragonware. Gothenborg says mostly made between the years of 1930 to 1950.

• Anastasia Panagopoulou
    8 years ago

Can you tell me about the approximately cost ? Thanks a lot...

• sdhayes1997
    8 years ago

I came into possession today of this tea set. I was told that is the Japanese eggshell but I am unable to identify the marking. Anyone know any info about it? Thanks

• lindac92
    8 years ago

See if you can find anything here.

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml

• justlinda
    8 years ago

This looks very similar.....Kutani Square Symbol ~ mid-20th century.

Kutani mark

• Gil Lowery
    7 years ago

I was comparing my tea set above that I bought in Yokusuka, Japan in the 1950's and haven't seen another like it. Can anyone help identify this one and place a value on it. The identifying mark is in Japanese. We have enjoyed it for over 60 years.

• lindac92
    7 years ago

You have what is known as a lithophane giesha girl tea set. Can't see enough of the mark to tell you more. Obviously not made for export as there is no country of origin on the marking.

• barbcah
    7 years ago

Hi we also have a similar set..first time I have seen another like ours! We have the full cup and saucer set with teapot milk and sugar. No markings apart from the Geisha girl in the bases. Wanting an idea on price.

• peacesignc
    6 years ago

I have this set and know idea how old or where it's from.

• dbaker5028
    6 years ago

We have a tea set our father brought back from Pusan, Korea in 1947. He was part of the post-war occupation and traded for this tea set. I've never seen anything quite like it and can't find any information. There is a mark on each piece on the bottom. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

• katja_123
    6 years ago

hi, I also get a nice japanese tea set with painted geisha, I was hoping if someone could tell me about its history,time it was made and its motive and worth

• katja_123
    6 years ago

• User
    5 years ago

Hi can anyone tell me about this set? Is this authentic or imitation, reproduction, name/era and its value? Thanking you in advance

• Gargamel
    5 years ago

Hi nardiaisherwood. ..maybe you should start a new post. There are already alot of old posts here

• dbaker5028
    5 years ago

I'm not familiar with the marking. Infant, I'm still trying to find someone who may know about my father's set. He got it in Pusan, Korea in 1946-1947.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Dbaker after 70 posts on a thread although you posted the same before it would be better if you started a fresh thread with your set.

• User
    5 years ago
    How do you start a fresh thread?
  • User
    5 years ago
    Thank you x
  • HU-426638786
    5 years ago

I have a Japanese tea set picture and marking as shown I would like some information on it please.

• Valerie rosales
    4 years ago

Good afternoon I have that same symbol! And I have not been able to find out what it says or around the yr it was made did you have any luck? please let me know this is the 1st time I see it! I'm excited, thank you

• Ekaterina T
    4 years ago

Valerie rosales the stamp looks very much like this: "506. Seal script generic Kaku (square) style version of "Kutani". Probably 1960s. " here: http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/kutani.shtml

• HU-350222179
    3 years ago

I can't find this pattern of Hoda yu shoten. Please help.

• vivian marquez
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Can someone help me i have a tea set and ive been trying to identify the simbol or atleast find what year it was made for months but i havent found anything. Please let me know if you find or recognize something, thank you!

• Desaree Austin
    3 years ago

• Desaree Austin
    3 years ago

• Desaree Austin
    3 years ago

Can't find this tea set anywhere.

Has 6 plates ,6 saucers w teacups,

Creamer pot , Teapot

• lindac92
    3 years ago

This is a good site to research marks on Japanese porcelain.
    http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml

• Alison Nicholson
    2 years ago

I’ve tried researching Far Eastern translucent porcelain, with not much luck. Here’s our tea set, inherited decades ago, complete and perfect, with palest hand painted decoration. It’s really delicate, and never been used.

• cristina collins
    2 years ago

Can someone help me identify my old tea set. i cant find any markings that match what is on the internet.

• lindac92
    2 years ago

Japanese tea sets were imported into the us by the gazillions....but after 1891 had to be labeled with the country of origin.....and after 1921 that name had to be in English. Your sets maybe carried home from China as a gift not intended for import

You will get nowhere googling "far eastern"....pick China or Japan...

The Gothborg site has great and detailed information on both old OLD and newer Chinese and Japanese marks. I suggest you spend some time there researching your marks.

• Alison Nicholson
    2 years ago

My own tea set is in England. I have researched Japanese marks, and found a few that match part of the marks on my set. I know it’s Japanese, not Chinese, as a Japanese friend confirmed the script. The set was given to my father in law, a physician, in payment for medical fees some time in the 1950s, in the days when this sort of payment was common. So, even then, the set must have had value.

• lindac92
    2 years ago

Certainly your Japanese friend knows that the Kanji are borrowed among Asian scripts and can be hard to tall apart.

Your set appears more like Chinese import than Japanese to me.

• HU-971643124
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Can anyone identify these items? The bottoms have “25/9 Japan” marking. I purchased at a yard sale to display at a tea party.

• Anne-Marie Hemmings
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi there,

Great pieces...

Could anyone help?

A lovely gold coloured

tea set, gold karat? They have lovely floral design and the stamp at the base is simple

JAPAN

Thank you for any help.

Enjoy your day!

• Kristin Hannesdóttir
    last year

Would like to know more about this mark

• lindac92
    last year

Gothborg dot com is a great site to research Japanese and Chinese porcelain.

• Jady Marie
    last year

Hi- This tea set originally belonged to my grandmother and was lovingly used for years. Id love to learn more about it. Thanks for your time and assistance.

• HU-562955002
    last year

Does anyone know or recognize this stamp? It's on the bottom of my Moriage dragon tea set.

• linda campbell
    last year

Gothborg dot com is a very useful site for researchisn Chinese and japanese porcelain.

• Karina Bistodeau
    2 months ago

Hi, I try to find this set on the website but I found nothing. I need help !