Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Other than being a small vase would this be anthing else?

Richard Dollard
12 years ago

Picked this up this weekend at a very high end antiques center down in Stamford, CT. It was probably the cheapest thing there but I thought it had potential. It took me forever to get the tarnish off, this has been my worst polishing project yet. It was BEYOND BLACK. Well, it's got some issues but I can look past that for now. I would think it's a vase but could it be anything else? It's Rogers Bros silverplate from Meriden, CT. Was thinking about trying that silver polish that puts on a light coat of silver to fix up the bad spots. Thanks, Richie Oh ya, it's only 3" tall by 3 1/2" wide at the bottom and narrower at the top.

Comments (13)

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Oh, you don't really want THAT old thing? Email me for an address & I'll be glad to take it off your hands!

It's gorgeous but it seems short for a vase of that diameter - part of a desk set maybe????

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL....I am going to keep it for awhile. I have been into old silver and art nouveau! Thanks, desk set piece sounds very valid. Richie

• lindac
    12 years ago

wondering if it had a glass "thing" that fit inside of it...
    What does the mark say? What does the bottom and the inside look like?

• nhb22
    12 years ago

Could be a vase holder, or a cigarette holder. I have one about that size - a cigarette holder - but it's not as fancy as yours.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

inkwell base?

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Linda, Here are the pictures you asked for. Thanks!

• lindac
    12 years ago

Looks like it had a lid at one time? That so? Leaning toward the desk set theory. Meriden made lots of that sort of stuff.
    Is it shallow enough to have been used for paper clips or the like? pen nibs?

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Honestly I can't see how it had a lid. The edge is rounded and scalloped. Too taall for paperclips but pergaps you are right on a desk set piece. I did find an old picture of an ad for Meriden's bearded iris line. I will get the picture on here. Hmmm..now I am thinking sugar cubes?

• calliope
    12 years ago

It's about the right size for a cigarette holder. I've seen them in sets with ashtrays in silver.

• lindac
    12 years ago

the lid might have fit inside the scallops on that rim.
    Is the bottom rounded if so not for cigarettes.
    Could it have been a spooner? Tall enough for coffee spoons?

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

Its about the right size to hold kitchen matches. Old matches were about 2.5 to 3.0 inches long. Fire place lighers were longer. However, I don't recall folks using silver to hold matches. The sulphur in a match head would be bad for silver.

If it had a pouring lip, I say it was a honey pitcher, but it does not have a lip. It could have been a small sugar bowl for brown sugar, or sugar cubes - think tea set. Maybe it held salad dressing.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

the bottom is flat.

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

From the photo, it looks like there's an inside rim for a lid. May be the right size for an individual sugar bowl - the size that would fit on a breakfast tray.