Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalmodoval

When is this furniture from?

Lalmodoval
10 years ago

Hello...I had recently just purchased a house and was left with some furniture. I'm not really sure when the furniture is from or if it is worth anything, but I am curious is to how old it actually is. Does anyone have any idea from this photo? The image is difficult to see, but there are fringes at the bottom of the sofa. The material is this awful diamond pattern that almost feels like a rough terry cloth? I have an armchair that matches this couch. I also have another armchair with a different style back with the same material in a different color. I peaked underneath that armchair and noticed it was upholstered, but has no date.

Any ideas?

Comments (5)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

It sure looks like the sofa my parents had when I was a kid, back in the 50's, right down to the maroon color and fabric! I think it was a 40's 'model' and I remember them buying a sectional when I was about 12. My Mother always had the latest so it must have been when the sectional first came out.

My son has a very similar style sofa and chair which is done in a velvet mohair, again a style from 40's or maybe even 30's. He paid $100 for the 2 pieces and it's in excellent shape. Are you planning to sell? I would consider it deco/nouveau in style.

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

Looks to be the 40/50's furniture with frieze ("free zay") upholstery. It's nubbly and stiff enough to give you something akin to road rash. This frieze also came in short & longer loops to make a self pattern which would then be a frieze boucle (boo clay). I think I'm correct on this.

It was so common when I was a kid in the 50's, it was just called livingroom furniture fabric. We had it in a dark green, but friends' houses sported a grey or maroon with or without the fringe.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I agree. I hated that hard fabric and laughed when you said road rash. I remember sets like this from early fifties, likely new in the forties.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    10 years ago

I just petted a green chair one day last week. If it would have been maroon I would have bought it. The chair I drooled over had some wood on the arms. I don't think on the back, just the arms. It was in great shape. I remember running my finger in the depression where the shorter nap was and outlining the..........fern leaf? I can remember that, ALL the lyrics to any song from 1950ish to 1999, and who had the best handwriting in 3rd grade (not me). If only I could remember I have toast in the oven.........before it's too late.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    10 years ago

Yep, the 50s. Could be a nice, solid frame worth considering for re upholstering.