Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justlinda_gw

Need help with artist's signature, please

justlinda
14 years ago

This neat vase was a gift years ago, and I'm trying to find out the artist's name. It was signed (I'm guessing with an electric pen of some sort) and dated. I have rubbed a lead pencil over the signature to have it show up. No matter what combination I have tried, I can't find any artists with a similar name. Sometimes another set of eyes may interpret the letters differently. Here's hoping someone may come up with another name for me to search....

{{gwi:1374643}}

{{gwi:1374644}}

{{gwi:1374645}}

{{gwi:1374646}}

{{gwi:1374647}}

Comments (6)

• lindac
    14 years ago

It's beautiful!
    It was popular several years ago, for owners to etch their name and an identifying number. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?
    But again it looks like a "studio work" to me and likely the artist is not well known and unlikely to be located.
    Can you find a number or web page for Canada Handcrafted glasworks and see if they can help?
    Linda c

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Nice piece! (I'm an art glass collector also) --

I'd agree with Linda's suggestion to go through Canada Handcrafted Galssworks to see who the artist is. They may have a listing of 'artists in residence' or some such that could get you started...

• Fori
    14 years ago

F i n i b l e ?
    Fimble?
    Sheesh. Why mark it with such bad penmanship? :) Good luck!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

justlinda, I will keep trying to look at it, but I wanted to thank you for the idea of rubbing pencil over an indistinct signature. I've tried doing rubbings on paper, but they never help. This is a great new tool.

You're actually lucky you have so much to work with--often people, even masters, will sign only with their initials, which is just SO frustrating. It seems deliberately obfuscatory.

• artfuldodger5601_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I would try the Canadian Glass Art Association, perhaps request an up-to-date copy of their directory, rather than going through the company that sold the work.

The word "Fenbles" is a proper family name, rather rare, but it is one genuine possibility. Unfortunately, I know of no artist who bears the name, but it is a place to start. If you have any photos showing different angles of the signature that you can send me, reading illegibly signed art is what I do for a living, and so I am only too willing to help.

• justlinda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Took me a while, but here's a few more photos. For one of the pics I removed the lead pencil marks. Not sure, though, if they are any clearer from different angles. Wish I were a professional photographer and able to get better photos (sigh).

{{gwi:1374648}}

{{gwi:1374649}}

{{gwi:1374650}}