Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsclere

Abernathy Walnut Table value

jsclere
12 years ago

I have recently aquired an Abernathy Kitchen Table that appears to be made of walnut. The table has 4 expansion sections that are totally removeable and add about 4' of length to the table. The table has legs under center to support it while expanded. I have the table pads, expansionsections and at least 4 chairs. Anybody have an idea about a value for this table, I've not had much luck finding anything?

Comments (6)

• lindac
    12 years ago

what's an Abernathy table?
    You say "appears to be walnut"....could be poplar stained walnut?
    How about some pictures?
    Linda c

• calliope
    12 years ago

If you are talking Abernathy Bros of Kansas, please let us know if there is a label present. It might be hard dating it, especially without a picture since they'd been established in the mid 1800s. Kitchen tables don't always reflect the style transistions that more formal furntitue does. I'd suspect if it has pads, it's probably twentieth century, but that still leaves a big ballpark. Why do you call it a kitchen table, as opposed to a dining room table?

• calliope
    12 years ago

{{gwi:1374612}}

{{gwi:1374613}}

{{gwi:1374614}}

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

What a lovely table! I would have called it a dining table though, in my experience kitchen tables aren't extendable and often have one or two drawers under the long side/s.

• calliope
    12 years ago

It is a dining table. Please give dimensions. You called it Abernathy, is there a label?

• calliope
    12 years ago

I asked about whether it was labeled and its dimensions because this simple Queen Anne style with the center legs was very popular over many eras. It may be almost impossible to hit near the manufacture date and a label and the composition of the woods would be the easiest route to try. If it has an Abernathy label, that would limit it to those years they were in production and the label style and address on it might narrow it down. The size also does because production dining sets often had smaller sizes offere as the twentieth century progresses.

I suspect at least the top is veneered, sure can't tell by the photo. Aside from these suggestions, I surely can't give you any help. It's in good shape and is pretty.