Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin_l

Need info on Mantel Clock and ballpark value

Justin_L
11 years ago

Hello, could someone help me by providing more info about this mantel clock I own? I am told it dates to 1860's France. The marble looking stone pieces are actually sandstone. There are not any markings on the clock so I don't really know who made it. I am trying to figure out it's value because I might want to get it insured. I could take it to an appraiser but don't really want to spend the money at this time. Anyone who could provide info would be most appreciated. Thanks, Justin

Comments (2)

• jemdandy
    11 years ago

If there is an access panel in back, open it and look for a label. If you find one, you are lucky because many labels in very old clocks came unglued and were discarded.

The clock face may be an indicator. The roman numerals on your dial all point to the center thus numerals from 4 through 8 are upsidedown. This was the common orientation in old clocks. At some point in history, clock makers began inverting the numerals 4 through 8 so that they were rightsideup. However, this is not a fixed rule. Clock makers producing reproductions or seeking to make their clocks appear ancient may use dials with upsidedown numerals.

In many old clocks, the dial is a repair part and could have been replaced at some time.

Try a google search for mantel clocks. You'll have to wade through many views, but you may find your model.

There is an emblem on your dial at the 12 o'clock position that may help identify your clock. The clock hands of your clock are distinctive and may be helpful for identification if these hands are original. Again, hands were repair items and could have been replaced at some time later than date of manufacture and the style of the hands could have been changed.

The size of the clock may be helpful. I can't tell how tall your clock is but I get the impression that it is less than 12 inches high, maybe 8 inches. A tpcial mantel clock was desinged as 8 day clocks and their size was dictated by the power spring technology of the day. Early mantel and carriage clocks (1830 - 1860) were about 12 inches tall, and some were taller. Improvements in power spring technology and clockworks permitted smaller 8 day clocks to be built.

• Justin_L
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great info for a start! Thanks so much.