Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debodun

Antique Pocket Watch

debodun
10 years ago

This was in the family bank safe box. It has a Waltham silver hunter style case (despite looking golden in the photo), but the workings are labeled Union Watch Co. It had a black leather fob with a 1.5" medallion from Saratoga Springs, NY and a winding key. I sent the photo to a local antique dealer who was very interested, but not interested enough to pay more than $50. I contacted a man that had stopped at one of my garage sales last year who was looking for old watches. I described it to him and he said he wouldn't pay more than $75 because it was a Union watch which were a dime a dozen. He added that if the workings were also Waltham, then he could offer more. I have a "gut" feeling that it is worth more than I am being offered for it. Any opinions?

Comments (9)

• pearlblue
    10 years ago

Hello...well if.you look on ebay they go for much more then 75 dollars.. even in non working condition.. those people were probably trying to rip you off cause you may of not had any idea what you have..lucky for you you have some info about your piece. I have been researching my antique trunk for months and cant even find any more info then the year it was made around.. good luck!

• debodun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know if it works. I didn't want to try winding it since it probably hasn't been used in decades and may need lubrication. Here's a photo of the workings.

• mfrog
    10 years ago

If it's not sterling, it's not in working order, I think that the $75 you were offered was a pretty fair wholesale price.
    You can't expect to get retail if you don't have a shop & all that goes along with that. I guarantee all my watches & clocks for 1 year, if something happens to it, it goes back to my clock guy & I pay for the repair. mfrog

• saintroad
    10 years ago

As a horologist and engineer, I can attest that the offered price was fair. Pocket watches are not as rare as people think by any means. Waltham, Elgin, Hamilton, Hampden and Illinois were much more collectible depending on year and model. Not Sterling or Coin Silver, not worth that much.

Thanks for the share. The leather fob is as interesting to me as the watch itself... :-)

• debodun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what's inside of the case. Research revealed that this mark indicated it is Waltham.

• saintroad
    10 years ago

Cheap swiss "Union Co" movement marketed in the US at the turn of century (keep in mind the Swiss always played catch up to the English and American watch makers of the day - considered inexpensive and low value movements)

Yes, you are correct. Nice Waltham case and fob. That is the only value here. Let me know if you want to sell. Thanks.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

I googled and found your watch at Ebay. (The serial numbers matched.) It may have a 7 jewel movement - does it?

Notice that the face has roman numerals and that all numerals point to the center of the face; in other words, the numerals at the bottom are upside down. This may have some indication of age. For clock faces, all roman numeral originally pointed to the center of the face with the result of inverted numerals at the bottom of the dial. At some point in history, clock makers began to put numerals from 4 through 8 right side up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Key Wound Pocket Watch

• debodun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that is my ad. So far no "nibbles". How can I tell how many jewels it has?

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

How many jewels? On the internet, I saw another similar watch movement that was described as having a 7 jewel movement.

In your picture above, I see what I think is a jewel pivot at the end of the shaft of the hair spring wheel. The usual arrangement is two jewel pivots for the shaft of the hairspring wheel and a third jewel on the escapement surface of this wheel. This leaves 4 jewels: two for the escapement fork and two for the pivots of the escapement fork shaft. These are the highest wear points of a watch movement. You may be able to see the jewels with a magnifier.