Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique Sears Catalog Dining Table

Posted by nitegale (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 30, 07 at 15:42

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to find out some information on a dining table.

I was told by the gentleman that refinished it for me that it was an old Sears Catalog Dining table, possibly from the late 1800's.

The legs are detatchable with big screws, and the leaf and legs fit into the table apron perfectly to make a square box for what I assumed was for easy shipping. The table top is gently beveled. The man who refinished it said it was Chestnut wood, and made a new leaf out of an old piano lid he had to replace the original leaf that was long lost. (I'm not convinced it's chestnut, I still think it might be oak)

Does anyone know what the best way to research old Sears pieces is? I've included a rather poor picture below.

Just click to enlarge!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique Sears Catalog Dining Table

Well mostly what I see is chair backs....
Those "old timers" you have to take with a grain of salt....
Lots of different manufacturers sold their stuff out of Sears and Roebuck catalogs.
That table doesn't look ( what I can see of it) old enough to be dating before about 1910 at the earliest.
As for chesnut...it was not a very good wood for furniture....and some old timers, my grandfather was one! loved to lower their glasses, get right down to the grain of the wood and say..."Chesnut! American chesnut...don't find that any more" LOL!
I think you probably are right...oak!
Lets see more of the table.
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda!

I'll see if I can get some better pictures, especially of underside and the square nail heads and wood telescoping rails for the leaf. I'll also see if I can get a shot of the whole thing bundled up with leaf and legs fitting into the apron. It's a fun little piece.

My mother purchased the table around 1972 in one Seattle's better antique shops, and she handed it down to me in about 1985. I don't really care what it's worth, I think it's still one of the prettiest dining tables of that style I've ever seen. It doesn't have the bulky over turned legs that alot of them and it's nicely proportioned, almost petite. I was more curious about the history (being the dorky history buff that I am. haha)

Unfortunately, I have 4 digital cameras in this house and it seems none of them are working correctly... I'll see if I can borrow a friends this week.

o

haha, just heard from mom, she said she paid $225 + tax for that table in 1972... she remembers because Dad came unglued and almost divorced her when he found out :D I have to guess he forgave her since they're still married some 35 years later. haha

o

I, too, have a Sears dining table, with a wheat "skirt" around the top edge, and 5 turned legs. This is oak. I researched it and found it was made by a firm called Roper in 1902-1907 in Michawak, Indiana. It has two leaves. I would love to find out how much it is worth. I paid $800 for it in the San Francisco Bay area in the 1980s.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here