Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miser1

Antique bed identification

miser1
13 years ago

Anyone have any Ideas?? I bought these at an auction, they were hidden in a barn loft.

Pictures: "Copy and paste in your browser." http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=645984574212%3A1245238243&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharee

Comments (4)

• lindac
    13 years ago

They are wonderful old walnut beds! probably dating around 1880 to possibly as late as 1919...but I think likely early.
    Very "country"...very nice....and I suspect that the one without the crest has been simplified, ornate parts removed.
    Do you have the side rails and the casters too?
    Great beds! How big are they? Standard mattress?
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: beds

• miser1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate the information. I do have the side rails for both beds, but no casters. One looks like a double, the other is to big to be a twin but not big enough to be a double.
    The big question is "value", they have been in my family room for 2 years, with good intentions. I have no room anymore...
    The one without the crest has the wholes in top, but I do not have the crest. I think the one with the crest weighs about 60 to 70 pounds per section. My first guess was walnut.
    Again, thanks for your help, and the link!!

• calliope
    13 years ago

Could be walnut, but I suspicion it might be elm. The grain looks pretty open to be walnut.

• kterlep
    13 years ago

it depends on many things, including where you live.

Here is my limited experience with antique beds (I have 3, a very nice walnut one like yours dated 1872 which I bought at auction about 4 years ago for 150, the headboard is well over 6' tall. I have a cheap one which is dark stained wood and is probably from the turn of the century that has glued on appliques (2 of which are missing) that I paid $5 at the same auction). My daughter has an iron bed circa 1900 that was free-it came out of a barn that I painted myself (it's probably the most valuable of all the beds, nearing $1000 from what I understand).

It seems most people don't want full sized beds. I think big beds are dumb. (Your not-twin, not full sized bed is called 3/4 size, by the way. it's not impossible to get mattresses for them).

Antique frames don't hold up to modern-weight people plus modern-weight mattresses. We sleep on the 1872 bed, and our memory foam mattress actually sits on a free-standing platform that is hidden by a bed skirt. We had difficulty working with the bed and could have broken it though until we figured that out.

Mattresses don't always fit. My bedrails have been extended at some time...

Someone may also want to buy one of your beds to..."make a bench" or something. You never know what people will do.

Good luck!