Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saintroad

Antique Desk - Need help identifying

saintroad
13 years ago

I purchased this antique desk about a year ago to use for my antique pocketwatch and fan restoration projects.

Can someone help identify the style, approximate age and reason for the marble inlay (replaceable) on the top surface. Currently, I have left the 2 white marble pieces, but I was told that I can simply pop out and replace with any tiles as needed.

The drawers are heavy and dovetailed not just box jointed.

I am more interested in learning the style and approximate age as I am sure that this is not a rare nor overly expensive piece.

Please let me know what you can & thanks so much!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comments (8)

• lindac
    13 years ago

It's not an antique, the dove tails are machine made. I believe it's from maybe 1960 to perhaps 1980, French Provincial in style, and I believe it's a dressing table rather than a desk. The marble is there to provide a relativly carefree work surface for my lady's lotions and potions.
    Hope this helps.
    Linda C

• saintroad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda,
    Thank you. Very informative and appreciated. It does function perfectly for my work desk, in any case. I personally don't find it to be feminine at all in style, finish or size.

Thanks again for the insight.
    Cheers,
    Andy

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I agree that it appears to be mid-century french provincial. Are there any marks or stencils on the back?

It reminds me a bit of a hospitality piece; a combination desk and dresser that would have been put in a nicer hotel in the 1950s-60s with a durable surface at the seating area.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Ooh....it does look a little "Ramada-ish" doesn't it...or perhaps Hilton...

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

That's not a bad thing though, it's usually sturdy and well made.

• maddielee
    13 years ago

Those look like Emerson fans you have there. Am I correct? My grandfather worked for Emerson (St. Louis) years ago. the fans that were handed down in our family still work beautifully....

ML

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Hardware is very similar to my 1964 stereo unit I still use. It's Fr. Provincial too. I have 1 of the old fans & an old heater that has fan to blow air out. They work great & so much less wattage than anything now-a-days!Desk? will serve you well.

• saintroad
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of the dialogue and insight. I bought this desk for $100. I find it to be perfect size for my repair and restoration work, both for pocket watches and antique fans.
    I find that it has an interesting vintage feel to it while at the same time quite roomy and functional for my needs.

The fans : Actually, there are no Emerson fans in that photo (amazing since Emersons are indeed my favorite!)
    The one on the desk is a GE Whiz that I restored this past weekend. The ones on the ground are a large R&M and a couple more GEs. (See my link below for my personal blog to see some of these fan restorations)

Thanks again for the info on the desk. Heck for $100, I cannot even hardly get some Sauder junk from Target. I think it has worked out very well.

Cheers.

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Whiz Fan Restoration