Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Is this old black and white photograph anything?

Richard Dollard
12 years ago

I have had this old b & w photogrpah for years. Picked it up the 2nd day of an estate sale. I thought it was pretty neat and have it hanging in my den. Haven't been able to identify the photographer and it may just be someone local who had a hobby. Anyone have anything to add? Thanks, Richie

Comments (10)

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Anything written on the back? Did you look in phone book to see if that name is in there? Do you recognize the place where he is sitting? Looks like river with rapids or falls toward the right! Nice pic! Might try library & check for local pics (history of town & see who took pics)or ask newspapers if they had photographer by that name.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I did just look in the phone book and didn't see anything. What does the name look like to you?

• lindac
    12 years ago

I can't read the signature....maybe F R Haydue...or hayden or haycleu or....something else.
    I think it's a piece of photographic art....because of the way it's framed matted and signed.
    Google all possible variations on that name and see what you can dig up.
    Linda C

• calliope
    12 years ago

Art is art, whether it's done by a professional, or a talented hobbyist. So, I'd say it's art as well. That being said, I'm also looking at the matting and it's bothering me. The 'matte' is foxing pretty badly around the corners of the photo and when I was looking at the close-up of the signature, it looks like the photo is printed on a heavy card stock and lain upon the plain background. One corner appears to be a little frayed and sticking out above the matte. I can't tell from your picture, but you should be able to tell in person. Is the 'matte' over or under the photograph? If it's under the photo, I'm saying that it appears to be a home-made mounting. Can you let us know?

• lindac
    12 years ago

Photographs for exhibition are frequently framed with the photo laid on top of the mat (matte describes lack of gloss) with a pencil line around the perimeter of the actual print. I asked why once and was told that it was to avoid the image having contact with the mat board. I didn't ask why they didn't use archival rag mat.
    I think it's a good supposition that your picture was framed for an exhibition....but I can't say if it won a prize or not!
    there is always a large photo exhibit at the state fair and from time to time the Des Moines Art Center and the gallery at Grinnell College will feature works by photographic artists.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The photo is on top of the mat and then a pencil outline around it. It is on heavy stock also. Yes, I know there are some issues with it but I still thought it was too good to pass up. I think I paid less than $5.00 for it, it was the 2nd day of the sale. I remember the seller giving me a dirty look when I asked her if she can do better on the price, she was asking $7.00.

• calliope
    12 years ago

I think not it not a professional exhibition piece, and the pencil line drawn around it sort of confirms my suspicion it was home mounted. It's a nice picture, javaandjazz and I'm not an art snob. I'd rather have a beautiful picture from an unknown, than a jived up print from someone famous if the intent was to enjoy it on its own merit as opposed to make a profit from it.

There is a local photog who sells a lot of his prints at our local farmer's market and some of them are rather pricy, but worth it. Like somebody else opined, it could be the work of a local photog or amateur.

I know what matte finish is. My father was a photographer both in and out of the military and has entered a few exhibitions himself. My spelling sometimes stinks, but I don't correct other people's spelling errors, including yours.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

My best guess of the signature is

F. R. Hayden

The penmanship is the style used circa 1850 - 1920. I'm not sure about the first initial, but have interpreted it as an "F" due to its cross bar. Capital F and T were the same except the F had a horizontal bar across its center.

My hunch is it is a photo that had sentimental value only to the original owner. F. R. Hayden may be the man in the photo.

It is nicely composed. I can't tell what size it is, but presume it is larger than 8 x 10 inches.

• jemdandy
    12 years ago

It is labeled, "Just Dreaming".

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!