Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fraser_y

Help Identify Noritake porcelain?

fraser_y
10 years ago

Can anyone help identify the Nortake porcelain shown? I have used all the on-line and printed sources that are available to me but have only managed to identify the Noritake mark (693), not the pattern. The item is approx. 17.5cm / 7" in diameter with a large amount of gilt work.

Can anyone help?
Thank you.

Comments (10)

• CrazyIke
    10 years ago

I gave all my book's away. But that is a strange, pattern for Noritake.

• calliope
    10 years ago

Can you show us the mark (bottom)? Like crazyike, it isn't a pattern I'd associate with Noritake.

• fraser_y
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, thanks for the interest. Have posted the mark here .

• fraser_y
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and the lid in more detail

• CrazyIke
    10 years ago

I'am inclined to believe it's a 1970's fake. is the inside completely glazed ? that's one clue. if it's not it's fake. What they did was cover the fake Noritake trademark with a foil sticker which of course was pulled off after it was received.

• fraser_y
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The inside is fully glazed, and I know it was in my family before 1956 and believe well before that date. It is impossible to find out more information of its origin, but from other artifacts that were also in the family it it possible it was obtained in the period 1935-1939.

Thank you for the interest as this item as puzzled me for a long time.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Have you gone through the pages of Images of Noritake china on the Replacements dot com website? You might get lucky and find it there.

Good luck.

ML

• fraser_y
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have and unfortunately not seen a flower pattern which matches. I imagine the plate would have a gilded edge to match that on the piece I have.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

Do you know what it was used for? Bowls that size could be cracker jar, possible dresser container(powder tho bit big for that) sugar master etc?? I looked through my Nippon book & didn't find it but I didn't go through every page. Looked for similar colors on a piece & didn't find that either. They did have some unusual pieces.

• fraser_y
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry but I have no idea what its original purpose was. In looking through all the sites I have not been able to see anything similar. Very puzzling!
    Thank you for your interest and just maybe someone will come up with the answer, or be able to point me in the right direction.