Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this...Antique scotish gate thing

Posted by redgt (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 14:54

I'm trying to figure out what this thing is or was. Its made of iron and now just hangs in a window frame, I think its part of a gate or something like that. I was told that it might be Scottish. Its made of iron plate that is probably 1/2 thick. Has anyone seen something like this before?

Thanks

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this...Antique scotish gate thing

It's a grill....either for a window to keep bad guys out or part of a gate.....what more do you want to know?

o

It's hanging, so it's not going to keep bad guys out. ;)

It's very nice, redgt. I'm inclined to think it's more a piece of an antique balcony grill or something similar, rather than a gate, because of the tightness of the design/smallness of the pattern. Check out the difference between the gates and the balcony grills at this imported antique architectural salvage site. Maybe pictures will convey my thoughts better.

o

Well....if it were fixed it might hold out the bad guys!...thought perhaps it had been fixed at a house.

o

how old is it is it valuable..stuff like that.. i have 6 of them

o

It's probably got to do with what it's made of in order to date the age. Hand forged anything has become so costly, it could well be unusual to find it on anything more modern but the most pricey of buildings since steel came into popularity.

Here's a quote that might offer a lead or clue w/regard to texture:
Wrought iron was produced before the years when steel became a common building material. Wrought iron has a fibrous appearance because slag is included in the iron and gives this type of iron its grainy appearance.

Full text is here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here