Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloe1254

Any information on this cabinet appreciated!

Chloe1254
13 years ago

I've had this piece over 20 years and use it in my dining room. It's 8' high and 4.5' wide and seems to be all original including the wrought iron key. I know nothing about it and would love to know approx. how old it is and where it came from.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Where did you get it? Looks possibly German to be...
    about 20 to 30 years ago, there were a lot of dealers who would go to Europe, load up a "container" and ship it to the US and sell it off.
    Unless what you know is different, I'll bet that's where it came from.
    Probably form the late 1800's...to early 1900's
    Linda C

• Chloe1254
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We bought it from a friend, and HE got it in the late 70's. A designer he hired (in Canada) got it for him. It appears to be made of walnut but I really don't know. The carved head and thistle & grape design seems German?

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I think its Renaissance Revival, and that the head and grapes are carved to look Italian-ish. It doesn't look Black Forest or Bavarian inspired to me.

• Chloe1254
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I was kind of thinking Italian or thereabouts since the head is wearing a helmet that looks southern European to me (?)

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Looks like an artichoke, not a thistle, but then, an artichoke is a thistle, so nevermind. I don't think that this type of carving is necessarily indicative of the actual region in which the piece was made. Could be northern Italy, could be Switzerland, could be Austria, etc. It's a terrific cabinet.

• Chloe1254
    Original Author
    13 years ago

palimpsest,
    I think you're right on the money. Did some googling after reading your post, and found examples of furniture very similar to mine, right down to the heads!

So the verdict seems to be French Ren.Revival, circa 1870

Thank you so much!!!!

• Chloe1254
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ ideefixe

It does look like an artichoke and I see now the carvings have little to do with country of origin. The carvings are exquisite and must have been done by a master.

One more question: Does anyone know what this piece would have originally been used for?

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

All the revivals are a bit of a "romantic" revival in that the victorians took a lot of license with design elements and mixed them together.

There is a Colonial Revival bank in my city that took all the Adam embellishments (tassels, swagged husks or bellflowers, anthemion)--and victorianized them while on LSD. There are ears of corn hanging off the swags and the ornamentation is all overscaled.

I think its a dining room sideboard essentially although the top looks like a cellaret or liquor cabinet.

• sergeantcuff
    13 years ago

I have a similar cabinet. Aren't they useful? I bought it about 12 years ago from a German woman who said she got it in France.

My old house has no downstairs closets and little kitchen cabinet space. I searched for a buffet to fit this space but many "serving" type buffets were too wide. I find this piece of furniture very useful. Linens and silver in the bottom and glassware, spices, and candles up top.

• Chloe1254
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, that cabinet IS like mine in many ways. I see the drawer pulls and spindles (columns?) holding up the hutch are nearly identical. I love mine so much I got a dining table and chairs to coordinate with it.:)

• someone2010
    13 years ago

the wood is walnut