Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grannabelle

Baroque Style Dining Room

grannabelle
17 years ago

any help with where i can find out more about this dining room set would be greatly appreciated (history, value, etc.): 13 pieces: table with an attached leaf at either end that slide up,out and in to enlarge table, 6 side and 2 arm chairs, sideboard, taller cabinet and 2 storage cabinets...the only identifying info is inside the top left sideboard drawer where there is a small metal plate that reads: The Reischmann Wholesale Furniture 228 E. 45th St NYC under the plate woodburned into the side of the drawer are the words Feudal Oak - previous owner said that they heard it had once been in a monestary - hope to have pix posted soon...thanks

Comments (5)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Here are the pictures she emailed me.
    {{gwi:1374212}}
    And the buffet
    {{gwi:1374213}}
    Amd a chair and part of the table:
    {{gwi:1374214}}
    Detail of door:
    {{gwi:1374215}}
    And a chair
    {{gwi:1374216}}
    It looks like a 1920 to 1935 Jacobean revival dining set to me. One that has been "pickled"...that was all the rage in the 50's and 60's...you removed the finish and rubbed in a colored stain. The way to remove the pickled finish and get it abck to oak is with a mix of shellac thinner and about 1/4 laquer thinner....rub it on in a VERY WELL VENTILATED room...outside is better...and wipe with a paper towel.
    Linda C

• grannabelle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks again linda for posting the pix

• User
    17 years ago

"Feudal Oak - previous owner said that they heard it had once been in a monestary -"

It's a 1920s piece, and I doubt it has ever been near a monk of any sort. Those bulbous legs appear for a short time in the mid-1920s, and vanished with the Depression.

I like the "pickled" look on it, but I would replace the upholstery with something with more color: microfiber suede or even a tapestry.

• grannabelle
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i definately want to redo the chairs with something like tapestry - cream colored leather is not my thing :-)
    thanks for your input

• larsone_starpower_net
    16 years ago

I believe, based on the design of the drawer pulls, and the furniture itself, that your dining room set is among the first that was sold by Jamestown Lounge Co. in 1928, and it was certainly not manufactured later than 1930. I base this opinion on having personally seen, or seen photographs of, more than 1,000 pieces of Feudal Oak; my personal collection exceeds 50 pieces, all of pre-World War II manufacture. The Feudal Oak catalogs on the Internet for the 1938, 1941 and 1949 were scanned and sent by me for posting, in the interest of sharing historical information about this fine firture. I agree with the other commentator that the "pickling" is NOT original, and it most likely consists of an oil-based paint that was wiped off, and the piece then varnished. This is an especially fine dining room set, that would be well worth restoring. I may be able to put you in touch with people in Jamestown, New York, who know how to do this. You may contact me at larsone@starpower.net or telephone 301-270-3450. Sincerely, Eric M. Larson