Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deemarie088

Need help identifying old Court Cupboard??

deemarie088
10 years ago

Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum, and hope that someone can help me. I bought this about 5 years ago at a local shop and thought that it was an old server. My son was looking in an antique furniture book and thought that it looks more like a Court Cupboard. I have many more pics, but not sure how to post them in this message. I think it is made of oak and some other wood, is mortise and tenon joined with square wood pegs. It has external brass hinges that has MADE IN ENGLAND stamped on the outside of each one. It looks like it has an updated lock that says EAGLE LOCK CO, TERRYVILLE CONN USA. It has just 2 doors that open in the front, with carvings that look like sunflowers and tulips. It is about 38" wide and 35" wide. It is also signed on the back with a wood burned looking chair with name that I can't make out and a 4 digit number on the back near the top

Comments (21)

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a pic of the signer, I think!

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brass hinges that have MADE IN ENGLAND stamped on them

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carved doors with brass pulls

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A close up view of some of the pegs

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The back of the cupboard. I hope that I can find out the history of this. I don't know if it is real old and has updates, or if it is a vintage handmade replica. The only info I found is for an old English court cupboard from 1630! Then, I did find some info in another book talking about court cupboards in Conn. In the 1700's, and about carvings with sunflowers and tulips

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Nice piece. 1920s-1930s Jacobean Revival, probably made in the USA.

The hinges were made after the US started requiring country of origin on imports. 1921 was the date that "Made in ___" started being used.

Unless you see marks of replacement under these hinges, they would be original.

The real key is the makers's brand. Try making a pencil rubbing of it to see if you can clarify the name.

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I hear what you are saying about the Jacobean Revival style. I have been trying to research this since I bought it 5 years ago, and have never seen anything that looks like this from the 1920s-30s. Wasn't most furniture in those years mass produced and part of a dining room set?

• mfrog
    10 years ago

Looks like the legs have been cut down some as the stretcher wouldn't be on the ground like that. Definitely a server from the 30's, would have been part of a dining set, but mostly they get sold off separately. $150 value here, used to be quite a bit more. mfrog

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello mfrog. You said that it must have been cut down, how tall are they usually? It measures 35 1/2" high, and doesn't look to be cut down.

• mfrog
    10 years ago

Must be the way the photo is showing the stretcher, it looked like it was almost on the ground. That height is about what they all are. Sorry about that!! âº
    I used to sell every one of those little servers that I could get my hands on, for about $400+ but the last few years they aren't as popular, though maybe with the popularity of Downton Abbey this style of furniture will become trendy. mfrog

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mfrog, thanks for your quick reply. Do you think that it is American or English? I have never seen hinges like these, nothing even close. And also I haven't seen the fasteners before, I'm thinking that they are square domed nails in all the corners instead of pegs. Do they have a purpose or for decoration? Do you have any idea about the wood burned stamp on the back?

Thank in advance, Deb

• mfrog
    10 years ago

I've never seen that mark before. It would help knowing where you are. I find it very difficult to give a proper valuation both with country of origin, originality & value from some photos. When I buy a piece, I look at whether the hardware is original, are the hinges right? I can't tell. They look right, but then again, I would need to see the inside to tell if they are. If they are original then it's probably English.
    The square domed nails are a decorative feature. Popular in the Arts & Crafts & into the late 30's early 40's. Yours is nicer than most, but it is production furniture. But the nice thing is, it's made of solid wood & none of your friends can run to Pottery Barn & buy one!! mfrog

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Court cupboards were usually much taller than 35" -- more like 5 feet or more.

The Eagle Lock Company was in business from 1833 until 1977, so if the lock is original to the piece, that gives you the absolute outside time limits.

The single board on the back is a more modern technique, and it looks like it might be rather thin, probably plywood rather than a solid wood -- is it? Is there an exposed edge you can look at, maybe the bottom?

Could we see the inside of the doors and the interior?

I think what you have is a sideboard or buffet, and agree with the others on the date, although it might be as early as 1910.

But as mfrog says, it's very hard to tell from photographs.

Even if it isn't centuries old, it's still a nice piece.

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. I will attach more photos that you were asking to see. I live in Western NY, south of Rochester and 50 miles east of East Aurora where Roycroft was founded. I know this isn't that style, but thought I would mention it. I bought it only a few miles from my house.

My husband looked closer for me and said that those "pegs" are actually wood, and we don't know if they are actually pegs or decorative. He said that the back could be an early plywood, very thin about 3/16" thick and appears to be 3 thin layers.

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The makers mark on back. Still can't read it

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inside of the server

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inside left door. It looks like there may have been a shelf inside

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Inside right door with lock. It looks a though it may have been changed

• deemarie088
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The back of the server. It may have been changed, the wood is cracked around most of the screws. We are not experts, my husband thinks that it looks like a veneer or early plywood.

If we still can't figure this out, it will just remain a mystery. I love it and don't plan on selling it. I just like to know the history of my old furniture!

THANKS again, Deb

• tinker1121
    10 years ago

Deemarie, could you please let me know the name of your floor, manufacturer, color etc.?
    Thank you.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

I think the "pegs" are hole plugs. They may be covering dowel pins or screws, These are located at the joints.