Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saintroad

Jacobean Style China Cabinet - ID?

saintroad
10 years ago

Hello and Happy New Year Everyone!

I stumbled upon and purchased what I believe to be a Jacobean Style China Cabinet. Can anyone look at the enclosed photos and help enlighten me as to the accuracy of my assumption as to the type of piece, wood type, age and approximate value of this cabinet piece?
It appears to be in pretty good condition and has a cool push-button release latching handle, shelves with rear display notches, and the original wavy (antique-looking window glass) in place.

I only paid $200 for the piece on a holiday sale at an antique shop about a week ago so I am not expecting much, but I am happy and just wanted more info on this.

Thanks so much for your insight and assistance.
:-)

Cheers,
Andy

Comments (13)

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Looks like a 1920s-1930s Jacobean Revival to me too.

Nice piece for $200!

• bulldinkie
    10 years ago

Omg I loveit

• mfrog
    10 years ago

Depression era, Jacobean revival style china cabinet with machine cut dovetails, looks to be made of walnut. Egg & dart mouldings, with cup & cover legs. The decorative scroll work on the door, may or may not be missing. Date wise, exactly as "lazygardens" says, 20's to 30's.
    The china cabinet was always the most sought after piece in these depression era dining room suites, then the small servers as in one of the other posts. mfrog

• mynewdiggs
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

jacobean revival · More Info

How nice to see this piece again! I have the dining room table and the huge high buffet to this set. No chairs 'tho. Got from a friend's barn years ago. Lost this china cabinet in a parting of the ways with someone I was living with...!!!! This looks exactly like the one I had.... Don't know the manufacturer because the furniture was stripped and re-finished in the 1980s. The stamp on the slide mechanism is for the company that made it; not the table. So, can't help you out much with the details! Thanks for posting!

• lindac92
    8 years ago

My son and daughter in law have it's twin! Walnut veneer drawer fronts, what appears to be maple decorative panels. Can't tell what wood the legs and stretchers are but not walnut, you can see the lighter wood where it's been nicked. the decorative panel on the crown appears to be birds eye maple.
    I helped strip theirs, so have had my hands all over it...and sand paper too .:-( ....it was a mess when they got it My DIL's grandmother got it at a sale and it spent a few years in a garage.
    The decorative band on the bottom isn't quite egg and dart...similar...but...and it looks to be walnut.
    It holds a lot of stuff! You can display the pretties in front of the glass, and hide the utilitarian stuff back in the corners!

• mynewdiggs
    8 years ago

I would love to see a pic of the refinished piece! I will have mine refinished in a couple of years. What did you choose as the final color?

• lindac92
    8 years ago

It's been more than 15 years.....I am thinking that we didn't use stain....but we must have on the legs and stretchers. I'll look for a picture.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Similar to mine. Still has the scroll work on the door, so you can see what yours might have looked like. Mine is walnut. I have what I believe are all the pieces the suite would have come with : china cabinet, tall buffet, smaller buffet, and dining room table. Mine does not appear to have been refinished at all, except for the top surface of the dining room table. I am only the second owner, it was in one family before.

• bunny snow
    8 years ago

Stop my heart!! I have a china hutch that has been in my family for over 50 years and I have been searching eveywhere to find out when and where it was made. The only difference between this and mine is that mine is rounded on the sides. I will take a few pics and post them here. I would be ecstatic if someone could give me any information about my treasure.

• Kitty Nikolai
    7 years ago

I just picked this beauty up today for $200! Any idea of its history? I could not be more excited!! Thank you :).

• mynewdiggs
    7 years ago

Yes. Really nice! Very good condition! Congrats!

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

Kitty - roughly the same era - those BIG bulbous things on the legs combined with the moldings from a different era and the grooved decorations from yet another are pretty certain indicators of the "Baronial" fad.

Everyone wanted something that looked like it could have been from a baron's castle to stuff into their little 4th floor walkup.