Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emma_taylor1224

Blue glass basket -- unknown maker

Does anyone know who might have made this basket?

{{gwi:1374071}}

{{gwi:1374072}}

Comments (4)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Again....don't know. is the bottom opaque?
    The handle appears to be hand applied, and again it looks like good quality glass!
    Where did you get these items?

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Linda. The bottom is not opaque. This basket was my MIL's. She collected hundreds of pieces over at least 50 yrs. I sold most of it to antique dealers. These pieces are some that I kept, so I'm just curious about them.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Looks like Fenton which often had a paper label. Daisy & Button was made in 1937-39 & reissued in 1953 in milkglass & pastel opaque colors. Factory closed in 2007 but i had bought my mom some baskets & vases before that & they may have had more reissues. I would have to go through the books & the way Wm. Heacock did them something is often pictured in a group & not indexed in the back. One thing I do know is never pick up a basket with an applied handle by the handle. You may end up with just the handle in your hand & rest in pieces on the floor.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I found some interesting info in the Fenton Glass 3rd 25 yrs book. All of their basket makers "signed" their work with a design on the wide area of the handle where it attaches to the basket!!They are called "handler's marks & book shows 11 different men did them that had been identified by 1980 when book came out. 1 mark looks like waffle,Ron BAYLES 9-10-56-1980+ , another cross with leaf at each quarter,Edwin Junior Garber 9-23-37 7-16-68. 1 like plant fanning out Peter K. Raymond 1907-1913 1921- 2-28-64 Another 1 is waffle but lighter more defined X's So if it is Fenton it is marked. Oh, color is Colonial Blue 1962-12/79 years it was made unless made after book put out in 1980 as new issue. If you have a design there pic would help me identify who made it & when.