Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierslr_gw

Opinion on an idea to help fellow antique lovers

hoosierslr
9 years ago

I am writing to ask for some feedback on an idea I have had for quite some time now, and not sure if it would be something that would sell well in the antiques world. I absolutely love to to go antiquing and have realized while in the field, whether it be an auction, garage sale, estate sale, etc., there are always times when I am in need of a certain " tool of the trade", and usually don't have it with me or didn't think to bring it. So I was surfing the internet for an "ANTIQUE INSPECTION KIT" to no avail. So I thought it would be a great idea to put this type of kit together and have it all in some type of small bag that would hold all of the tools so that I would have them all handy when I happened to need them while out treasure hunting. I thought this might be a great item to put together and sell so that others could have one. So, I thought about what might be needed and so far have come up with the following list. I would like to know if you fellow antique lovers would ever consider buying this type of kit? If so, what price would you be willing to pay to get all these items together at one time, without having to go out and purchase each tool individually? The kit would include the following:

* 2 eye loupes with different magnifications ( to check for markings)
* blacklight (to look for imperfections in paintings and other paper items)
* flashlight (so you can see in dark areas)
* small screwdrivers (you never know when you might make that furniture purchase you can't live without)
* small wrench (for the same reasons listed above)
* strong magnet (to test certain metals)
* tape measure ( you need to make sure what you buy will fit in that perfect space you have in mind)
* telescoping (extention) mirror (to see all the areas of an item that are too difficult to reach)
* notebook (have to keep track of all the great buys and any other helpful information you might need to remember)
* bag for all the items ( you have to keep them all together for all your outings)

I would offer some specialty items separately. Such as a jewelry scale or testing equipment, because they would be unique to only certain types of collections.
Any further ideas/suggestions would be welcome and greatly appreciated:) I just want to hear from you, so that I will know if it's something I want to continue with or think of something else.
Thank you for your time and help!

Comments (3)

• lilylore
    9 years ago

"I thought this might be a great item to put together and sell so that others could have one."

I think you are right in that what you need to put into the kit is certainly what will make it valuable! So, being able to decide that will determine the value of your project.

Sign me up!

• hoosierslr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you:)

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

About the magnet.

A handy one is available from auto parts stores. It is a magnetic slug on an extendable wand. The magnet body is covered with plastic with only the end face bare. The plastic covered body eases cleaning off magnetic scrap that sticks to the magnet and it protects the subject's finish from scratches. A good quality example of this tool is strongly magnetic, strong enough to pick up a 1 inch open end wrench.

About optical magnifiers:

In addition to small loupes, I suggest adding a full viewer trade named "opti visor". This fits on the user's head and can be pulled down over eye glasses. Several optional lenses up to 10X are available. There are competing products that clip onto eye glasses that can be rotated into position. Search lapidary and jewelry equipment to find examples.

About wrenches:

A single wrench will not do. This should be a set of small wrenches spanning popular sizes.

In the camera bag, include containers to hold charged and discharged batteries.

If you will be collecting jewelry, you'll ways to test for various stones, and these should be non-destructive. Among hobbyists, there exists a diamond tester based on thermal conductivity. (Diamonds have high thermal conductivity compared to other look-alike stones.) Measuring the angle of refraction is helpful for clear to translucent stones.